History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Olde Telegraph

A Grade II Listed Building in Llaneilian, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4045 / 53°24'16"N

Longitude: -4.2903 / 4°17'25"W

OS Eastings: 247838

OS Northings: 392184

OS Grid: SH478921

Mapcode National: GBR HMSP.TQH

Mapcode Global: WH422.2P7F

Entry Name: The Olde Telegraph

Listing Date: 12 May 1970

Last Amended: 24 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5367

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set back from the NNE side of a lane which leads E and SE from the Llaneilian to Pengorffwysfa road. The Olde Telegraph is in an elevated location overlooking Point Lynas and is located c1.1km SE of

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llaneilian

Community: Llaneilian

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Amlwch

History

Mid C19 telegraph station, built in 1841, one of 12 signal stations built along the North Wales coast from Liverpool to Holyhead. There is an inscribed tablet on the W wall which reads: POINT LYNAS TELEGRAPH / Built in 1841 by the / TRUSTEES / of the / LIVERPOOL DOCKS. From 1860 onwards the old semaphore system was gradually replaced by electrical transmission and the 12 stations were reduced to 5. This station was made redundant and a signal staff then installed at Point Lynas lighthouse. The station has been renovated in the C20 and each block has been re-roofed, the lookout block to N now has a hipped roof (formerly flat) and each block is now without stacks. Replacement casement windows also installed in accommodation/office block to S.

Exterior

Single storey telegraph station building comprising square accommodation and office block to rear (S) and rectangular block to N with semi-octagonal splayed end as lookout; now with single storey addition along E wall and glazed conservatory/porch in angle to W. Solidly constructed of 3 layers of brick, rendered; modern slate roof. The windows to each face of the semi-octagonal splayed end of the N block are large 16-pane hornless sashes; other openings have modern doors and replacement casement windows; N block with doorway in W wall and window in E, accommodation block with 2 large windows to W, S and E walls, W wall with smaller window offset to N and N wall with single central window. On the W wall of the lookout block is a tablet which gives the details and date of the construction of the station.

Interior

The accommodation and office block formerly had 4 interconnecting rooms with central stack to fireplaces in each room; lookout block with fireplace in SW corner. The interior of the station has been modernised but retains original beams and tongue and grooved pitch pine ceilings, now encased.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an early to mid C19 telegraph station, one of 12 such stations erected along the North Wales coast and providing an important communication link and navigational aid for shipping at that time.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Garden wall, railings and gates at Rectory
    Set back from the N side of a lane which runs E off the country road between the villages of Llaneilian and Pengorffwysfa; c550m SSE of the Church of St Eilian. The garden is to the front (E) of the
  • II Rectory
    Set back from the N side of a lane which runs E off the country road between the villages of Llaneilian and Pengorffwysfa; c550m SSE of the Church of St Eilian.
  • II Courtyard walls and outbuilding to rear of Rectory
    Set back from the N side of a lane which runs E off the country road between the villages of Llaneilian and Pengorffwysfa; c550m SSE of the Church of St Eilian. The courtyard is to the rear (W) of th
  • II Privy block at Rectory
    Set back from the N side of a lane which runs E off the country road between the villages of Llaneilian and Pengorffwysfa; c550m SSE of the Church of St Eilian. The privy block is directly to the N o
  • II Tan y Fynwent
    Set well back from the NE side of the country road leading through the village of Llaneilian; Tan y Fynwent is along a small trackway and lies c 25m ESE of the church of St Eilian
  • II Lychgate to S entrance of Church of St Eilian
    Located at the southern entrance to the churchyard to the Church of St Eilian; directly S of the SW porch.
  • II Cross in churchyard of Church of St Eilian
    Located in the churchyard directly to S of the W tower of the Church of St Eilian.
  • I Church of St Eilian
    In Llaneilian village, set in a large rectangular churchyard with stone boundary walls and two sets of gates to south and west.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.