This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3423 / 53°20'32"N
Longitude: -4.3876 / 4°23'15"W
OS Eastings: 241145
OS Northings: 385476
OS Grid: SH411854
Mapcode National: GBR HMJV.YTK
Mapcode Global: WH42D.K8X2
Entry Name: Church of St Ceidio
Listing Date: 12 May 1970
Last Amended: 16 March 2001
Source ID: 5401
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back, within a raised circular churchyard, from the W side of a country road leading NW from the village of Llanerchymedd.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Mid C19 church, rebuilt in 1845 on old foundations and with the same materials, under the direction of the rector, Hugh Wynne Jones. Retains late C14 reset E window and N doorway.
Simple mid C19 rural church built to the plan of the C14 original with continuous nave and chancel. Built of rubble masonry with freestone dressings. Modern roof of large thin slates laid to diminishing courses, stone copings and dressed stone W bellcote. Entry to the church is through a C14 doorway at the W end of the N wall; a round-headed doorway with chamfered jambs. The windows in the N and S walls are C19 paired trefoil-headed lights in rectangular frames; a single window to L of the N doorway and 2 windows in the S wall. The late C14 E window is a single light with simple tracery in a 2-centred head with hoodmould. There is a kite shaped recess in the W gable apex.
The 4-bay roof has exposed collared trusses down to wall posts on plain corbels. The fittings are C19, simple bench pews and a raised pulpit with trefoil-headed facing panels. The chancel is raised by one step with a moulded rail on stick balusters with cusped brackets. There are C18 marble memorial tablets on N and S walls: one to John Griffith of Ceidio d.1753, and his wife Damaris d.1751; the other to Dorothy wife of the Rev. John Lewis d.1763, the Rev. John Lewis d.1783, and three of their children.
Listed as a simple mid C19 church, unusual in being built closely to the form and detail of its Medieval predecessor, and thus retaining strong vernacular character.
Other nearby listed buildings