History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Archways, at Grand Lodge, Plas Newydd

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2171 / 53°13'1"N

Longitude: -4.2072 / 4°12'25"W

OS Eastings: 252719

OS Northings: 371162

OS Grid: SH527711

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.1BH0

Mapcode Global: WH546.BDTL

Entry Name: Entrance Archways, at Grand Lodge, Plas Newydd

Listing Date: 30 January 1968

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5457

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: The N entrance to Plas Newydd, 1.7km N of the house, leading off the S side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Plas Newydd Estate

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

Designed and built by Joseph Potter c1805, when many of smaller buildings on the Plas Newydd estate were built or re-modelled. Alternative designs by Potter exist in the RIBA Drawings Collection, showing larger and more elaborate structures with portcullis or iron gates. The Plas Newydd Estate was one of the largest estates on Anglesey, passing to the Bagenal family in 1553 and through marriage to the Bayly family in the C18. In 1812 the estate passed to Henry William, Lord Uxbridge's eldest son; Henry was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey in 1815, and his descendants inherited both estate and title. A number of improvements to the buildings of the estate followed the completion of the main house at Plas Newydd in the early C19.

Exterior

A symmetrical battlemented composition in limestone ashlar masonry, with a high 4-centred central archway flanked by smaller pedestrian archways, the whole flanked by octagonal turrets. Chamfered plinth, shallow buttresses to either side of main arch, moulded cornice and pointed copings to embattled parapet. Plain shield raised in stone above pedestrian arches.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a prominent early C19 estate entrance archway in a Gothick composition, one of a number of buildings on the estate designed by Joseph Potter, and for group value with Grand Lodge.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Grand Lodge of Plas Newydd
    Set back slightly on the S side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, behind the walls of Plas Newydd and at the entrance to the Grand Drive.
  • II Pen yr Allt
    Located on the NW side of the A4080 - Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the Grand Lodge to Plas Newydd.
  • II Aberbraint Lodge
    Located on the NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c. 0.5km from the Llanfair Toll House.
  • II* Aberbraint
    Set back from the road within grounds on the NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c.0.5km from the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Tyddyn Pwyth
    Located on NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the walls of Plas Newydd, c750m SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Tyddyn Pwyth
    Located on NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the walls of Plas Newydd, c750m SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Tyddyn Pwyth
    Located on NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the walls of Plas Newydd, c750m SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Bridge over stream near Melin Pwll-fanogl.
    Over the stream running from the Afon Braint to the Menai Strait at Pwllfanogl, SW of Plas Llanfair.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.