This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.218 / 53°13'4"N
Longitude: -4.2078 / 4°12'28"W
OS Eastings: 252683
OS Northings: 371267
OS Grid: SH526712
Mapcode National: GBR 5L.1BB9
Mapcode Global: WH546.BCJW
Entry Name: Aberbraint
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Last Amended: 20 April 1998
Source ID: 5430
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back from the road within grounds on the NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c.0.5km from the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll
Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll
Main house built early C19 (after c1820) probably a re-modelling of an earlier house on the same site, and containing reset late C17 and C18 woodwork and two C15 or C16 misericords. Shown on Tithe Map of 1844, then owned by John Saunderson Esq., estate manager to the Plas Newydd Estate. The house was altered and extended late C19 and early C20 and converted to use as three dwellings in mid C20.
Two storey, triple-depth plan house, with entrance front facing S: a 3 window range flanked by single-storey pavilion blocks to either side, in the angles with a larger parallel rear range. Three gables advanced from this rear range, and a single storeyed parallel subsidiary wing to rear. Grey grit rendered walls; slate roof with projecting verges, plain bargeboards and rendered stacks. Front is a symmetrically planned two storey, three window, three gable range flanked by single storey hipped roofed wings. The central bay is slightly advanced with main entrance recessed in lower part, in shallow 4-centred arch flanked by piers of three engaged columns with lion's head capitals; larger piers of three engaged columns either side of the entrance support a narrow portico. Doorway formed by vine leaf decorated panels flanked by triple engaged columns either side, with frieze of Gryphons and acanthus leaf scrolls. Door of single panel to lower part with ornate moulding; guilloche moulding to lock stile and 24 pane upper part. Entrance also contains reset C15 or C16 misericords, to left a human figure sitting backwards on a bridled horse, to right an angel holding a shield. Above the entrance is a canted oriel window of 4 lights, with a lattice-work parapet, flanked by turned newel style piers supporting human head corbels. Flanking bays with 3-light casement windows with moulded hood bands; similar windows in flanking single-storeyed blocks recessed in elliptical arches. Single window in right end with reset traceried lights. Gables contain wall posts supported on reset corbels. Double-depth service wing and stable to rear with some 3-light casement windows, asymmetrically planned, and modern doorways from mid C20 conversion.
Central staircase plan; main entrance opens to a panelled hallway which leads through to central hallway containing stairs with wreathed and ramped handrail, foliate brackets (c1700) to cut string and turned and decorated balusters and newels. Room to left of main entrance hallway retains some panelling, a C17 composite mantel with decorative moulding, guilloche moulding over window and a doorway with key pattern work and C18 frieze of egg and dart moulding above running vine leaf design; doorway leads to sitting room with moulded frieze and guilloche moulding above window. Room to right has key pattern work and guilloche moulding around window, room to far right with key pattern work and moulded frieze. Other fittings include reset corbels of human heads, some supporting moulded decorative brackets, and tiled fireplaces in some rooms, one with a fine marble surround.
Listed at Grade II* as a richly detailed early C19 house in a Gothick idiom, incorporating fine quality C17 - C18 woodwork as an intergral part of the Gothick character.
Other nearby listed buildings