History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Clock

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangefni, Isle of Anglesey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2557 / 53°15'20"N

Longitude: -4.3108 / 4°18'38"W

OS Eastings: 245946

OS Northings: 375684

OS Grid: SH459756

Mapcode National: GBR HNQ3.44M

Mapcode Global: WH42T.RFGF

Entry Name: Town Clock

Listing Date: 10 November 1986

Last Amended: 16 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5739

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: Set directly in front of the Town Hall, at the S side of Bulkeley Square in the centre of Llangefni.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Llangefni

Community: Llangefni

Community: Llangefni

Built-Up Area: Llangefni

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Llangefni

History

Erected in 1902; dated by an inscribed tablet over the doorway in the S face. In memory of George Pritchard Raynor of Trescawen, who died in Blomfontein Hospital, July 1900.

Exterior

Neo-Gothic memorial clock tower. Built of snecked limestone masonry. Polygonal tower with pedimented gablets stressing cardinal faces, terminating in conical spirelet with lucarnes surmounted by a weathercock. Tapered polygonal plinth with entrance in shouldered arch in S elevation and arched recesses in E and W, both with metal lion-head water spouts; that to E over curved trough at base, that to W over smaller, curved basin. The upper stages of the tower have narrow stair lights, a granite inscription plate with gilded lettering over the entrance, and clocks on cardinal faces, corbelled out and with pedimented gabled heads with narrow, segmental-headed vents in tympanum, and surmounted by ball-finials.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a striking and unusual example of a memorial clock tower employing a robust gothic idiom. Its prominent location in the centre of town makes it a striking focal point, and it also forms a group with the adjacent town hall and Bull Hotel.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Market Hotel
    Located on the N side of Bulkeley Square, directly opposite the Bull Hotel.
  • II The Bull Hotel, including stable courtyard to rear.
    Located at the SW corner of Bulkeley Square with side elevation to Glanhwfa Road.
  • II Town Hall
    Located at the S side of Bulkeley Square, and set back from the main street in the centre of Llangefni; c.400m SSE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II Doldir
    About half way down the road, to N (L) of Capel Moriah.
  • II* Moriah Calvinistic Methodist Chapel including forecourt wall and gates
    Set back, behind a railed forecourt, from the E side of the A5114 Glanhwfa Road. The chapel is located directly N of the Shire Hall and is c.400m SSE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II War memorial in front of the Shire Hall
    Set back from the E side of Glanhwfa Road, within a semi-circular enclosure to the R side of the entrance gates directly in front of the Shire Hall.
  • II Shire Hall
    Set back, behind a railed forecourt encompassing the war memorial, from the E side of the A5114 Glanhwfa Road; c.450m SSE of the church of St. Cyngar.
  • II County Court
    Set back slightly from the W side of Glanhwfa Road, directly opposite the War Memorial to the front of the Shire Hall.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.