This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0683 / 53°4'5"N
Longitude: -4.2843 / 4°17'3"W
OS Eastings: 247046
OS Northings: 354777
OS Grid: SH470547
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.BPRT
Mapcode Global: WH43T.544M
Plus Code: 9C5Q3P98+87
Entry Name: Boundary Wall to Glynllifon Park
Listing Date: 8 February 1996
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 5924
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Bordering the historic parkland to Glynllifon, now Glynllifon College.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The boundary wall was rebuilt in 1836 contemporary with the erection of the present house for the 3rd Lord Newborough by the architect Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury. The wall was repaired in 1935.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Glynn family until 1700 when it passed to Thomas Wynn of Boduan. Before the present mansion there existed a mid C18 house and within the park are other notable buildings eg Fort Williamsburg.
The wall runs along the east side of the A499 between the by-roads to Groeslon and Penygroes and also follows the winding path of these narrow roads and on the eastern side it runs west of the lines of the A487 and disused railway.
Rubble wall with pointed, slightly projecting, coping bordering the complete parkland; approximately 10km in length and, at its tallest, is 4m high. On west side it runs beside the main A499 road with lodges at either end and included the main 'triumphal arch' entrance set back near the mid-point (listed separately) and a simple entrance with gate piers near south end; the corner entrances are pointed-arched and that to north is stepped and gabled; that to south opens onto one of the drives. The north side winds along the course of the by-road and includes the East Lodge which has a similarly pointed and gabled entrance arch to the northern drive; just west of the junction with the A487 the wall turns sharply away towards the south-east. To south masonry changes suggest that the wall has been doubled in height; it follows the bends of the similar by-road for 1km and then, just beyond a small architraved doorway, it forks north-east, bordering woodland. On east side the wall follows the line of the old turnpike road which was re-routed to east when the railway was built. A lane from the A487 now gives access to Upper Lodge and east drive and, at the northern end, the wall, disused railway line and road are all close together; the Upper Lodge is now ruinous but the pointed archway is retained.
Listed as an important example of a complete C19 boundary wall and for its contribution to the historic character of a major Welsh country house and park.
Group value with the Grand Lodge and other listed items at Glynllifon.
Other nearby listed buildings