This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6507 / 51°39'2"N
Longitude: -4.8715 / 4°52'17"W
OS Eastings: 201451
OS Northings: 198563
OS Grid: SS014985
Mapcode National: GBR G9.WT6F
Mapcode Global: VH1S7.JR0Y
Entry Name: Portclew House
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 30 April 1996
Source ID: 5970
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At N side of the B4584, 2 km S of Lamphey village.
Community: Lamphey (Llandyfái)
Built-Up Area: Freshwater East
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
An early C19 house, described by Lewis in 1834 as 'a modern mansion, the residence of Thomas Parry', and in 1842 as 'a mansion recently rebuilt'. Evidently not the first house on the site. The same house is recorded in 1838 as owned and occupied by T J Wedgwood.
A very large double-pile house of three storeys, facing S. The plan is unusual with the rear premises at floor levels intermediate to those at front. An E extension containing servants' stairs is probably not original, as it meets the main house at an unbonded straight joint, but must be very early. There is also a lean-to annex at the W to give service access from the kitchens at the rear to the dining room. This annex also contains the butler's pantry. This must also be an early afterthought, correcting faults of plan.
Local rubble sandstone and limestone, rendered and scored to imitate ashlar masonry joints. The eaves projects deeply with a lath and plaster cove and false paired brackets to the soffit. Hipped slate roof. Curious hoisting pulley on brackets at rear.
Range of three windows in main elevation to S. Because of the unusual size of the rooms, the windows appear very small in proportion to the façade. Hornless sashes with thin glazing bars. The top storey windows have three and six-pane sashes, elsewhere the windows have two six-pane sashes. The ground storey windows are tripartite with mullions and two-pane side sashes. Large semi-octagonal porch at centre with French windows giving balcony access above. Regency cast-iron railings to balcony.
Central entrance hall with stairs and with dining room at left and drawing room at right. Each of these rooms has a large rear alcove for furniture. Open-string staircase with two balusters per tread. Swept rail coiled at the bottom newel. At the rear, a half-storey above, a reception room of slightly Gothick character, with French windows to a N-facing balcony.
Listed as an early C19 gentleman's residence of architectural importance to the area.
Other nearby listed buildings