This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.863 / 51°51'46"N
Longitude: -4.7324 / 4°43'56"W
OS Eastings: 211953
OS Northings: 221801
OS Grid: SN119218
Mapcode National: GBR CW.SYL8
Mapcode Global: VH2NS.XFJN
Entry Name: Church of Saint Tysilio
Listing Date: 21 June 1971
Last Amended: 15 July 2004
Source ID: 6058
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the centre of the churchyard on the S side of Heol-y-llan some 150m W of the A478 through Llandissilio.
Community: Llandissilio West (Gorllewin Llandysilio)
Community: Llandissilio West
Built-Up Area: Llandissilio
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Anglican church for parish split between two counties, medieval origins, nave rebuilt 1838-40, probably by John Cooper of Slebech, though the forms are signed J. Thomas, architect, Llandyssilio. The broad plain nave may replace a double-nave church as the chancel is in line with the S half only. Repairs 1894 for £72. Restored 1898-1900 by H. Prothero of Cheltenham who rewindowed the nave, added porch and bellcote, and renewed the E window in the chancel, for £850. Notable for the inscribed stones built into the fabric.
A photograph pre 1898 shows 3 pointed windows on nave N, and pointed E sash window.
Anglican parish church, rubble stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs, local silver-grey slates on chancel and vestry roofs. Broad nave with low-pitched roof, chancel not central to nave but in line with S half, with low parallel-roofed vestry along N side. S porch and W bellcote. Coped gables and cross finials. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Nave has windows of 1898, three square-headed 2-light windows with segmental-pointed heads to lights on N, similar 2-light and two 3-light windows to S and porch of 1898 to left. Leaded glazing in very small pieces of tinted glass. Porch has shouldered gable, moulded segmental-pointed doorway with spandrel panels and hoodmould stepped up in centre over blank shield. Similar S doorway within, with board door with cover strips and ornate wrought iron hinges, all of 1898. W end has similar 2-light with hoodmould and cusped depressed-arched heads to lights. Uncarved stops to hoodmould. Relieving arch over. Small plain bellcote with pointed opening and ashlar gable of 1898 with cross finial. Chancel S has 2 older windows remaining, uncertain date, a 2-light with sandstone chamfered jambs and cambered heads, and a single small pointed light with spandrel panels. E end has broad segmental pointed 3-light window of 1898 with ogee panel tracery and hoodmould. Set back to right is low narrow gable end of vestry with 2-light window of 1898, plain chamfered rectangular lights. Purple stone single light on N.
In nave S wall are set three inscribed stones: one beneath third window reading 'clutorigi fili paulini marinilatio' (Clutorix son of Paulinus Marinus of Latium), another below second window, broken, reading 'euolengg- fil- litogeni hic iacit' (Evolenggus son of Litogenus lies here), and a third, a fragment to right of third window jamb reads 'RIAT'. All are said to be C5 to C6. Also there is said to be at the SW corner an incised stone with a circle enclosing 5 circles in Maltese cross form, C7 to C9, not seen.
Nave is broad with whitewashed plastered walls and boarded panelled ceiling, sloped on all four sides. Windows have cambered rear arches. Pointed plastered chancel to right of E end of nave with low pointed door to parallel vestry to left. Chancel has 1898 open 3-bay roof with collars and king-struts, two broad plastered arches to vestry on N. Marble-paved sanctuary. Small S wall piscina.
Fittings: late Gothic style octagonal font 1898 with quatrefoils in panels and traceried shaft. Plain pews, pine pulpit on stone base. Earlier to mid C19 organ brought in from Milford Haven in C20, possibly from a country house. Panelled case. Wrought-iron altar rails of 1898 with IHS and crown motifs.
Inscribed stones: Cross-inscribed stone at nave NE (possibly the one also inscribed 'carantacus').
Memorials: good pedimented white marble memorial on grey marble to John Mathias of Kille (Cilau, Llandysilio East), died 1765.
Included as a church of early origins with important inscribed stones set into walls.
Other nearby listed buildings