This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.892 / 51°53'31"N
Longitude: -4.8172 / 4°49'1"W
OS Eastings: 206244
OS Northings: 225243
OS Grid: SN062252
Mapcode National: GBR CS.QV3R
Mapcode Global: VH2NK.GP6Z
Plus Code: 9C3QV5RM+Q4
Entry Name: Parish Church of Saint Nicholas
Listing Date: 21 June 1971
Last Amended: 15 October 2004
Source ID: 6086
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently situated on S side of village on W side of road; raised rounded graveyard.
Town: Clarbeston Road
Community: New Moat (Y Mot)
Community: New Moat
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Tagged with: Church building
Medieval parish church with late C15 west tower. The nave appears to be the earliest fabric, the chancel possibly C14, and the aisle, C15. Repaired c 1720. The chancel was refurbished c 1835 probably by the architect William Owen of Haverfordwest, the work including a screen and panelling: by 1844, probably due to the increasing awareness of correct ecclesiology, this work had been removed. By 1879, the church was in need of repairs, and a report was prepared by E H Lingen Barker of Hereford, architect, but the work was not carried out: a visit by the Cambrian Archeological Society in August 1883 found the church in poor repair, the chancel separated from the nave by an iron gate. Restored 1884-86 by Archibald Ritchie of Chester, architect, the work including much rebuilding of nave and south aisle, new windows, new arcades and chancel arch, new roofs, as well as new furnishings. The cost was £1600, met entirely by Sir Owen Scourfield of nearby Mote. The church was restored in 2003.
Plan consists of nave and lower chancel, with north aisle being slightly shorter at W end. West tower of late C15-C16 type, tall tapering and embattled, with low battered base below stringcourse. NW stair-vice to tower with small loops. Paired arched belfry lights of 1884-6 with slated louvres; paired lancets over chamfered W door, which is also late C19; boarded door with branched iron hinges. Body of church of rubble construction, with areas of rougher medieval masonry. Roofs formerly of Pembrokeshire stone tiles, now slate: prominent iron finials to gables. Square section downpipes of cast iron. S side of nave has central shallow porch with steep Bathstone gable. Moulded arched doorway, and boarded door with iron branch hinges. Two-light flat-headed Bathstone window each side of 1883-86, trefoiled lights. Two-stage buttress to right. Chancel is of a different build, with low plinth. Two-light flat-headed Bathstone window, ogee trefoil heads; similarly detailed lancet to right. Twin-gabled E elevation with 1880s windows. Chancel has large 3-light Decorated style window with elongated quatrefoils. Aisle has two-light flat-headed window with shouldered lights, and detached roundel above with inset trefoil. N elevation has railed enclosure to left for steps to crypt. Left lancet. Central buttress combined with corbelled base of truncated chimney. Broad triplet window to right of the 1880s, arched lights. Two-light plate-traceried window to W end of aisle: nave has large trefoiled lancet to right.
Detail of 1884-86. Six-bay nave roof with arch-braced trusses and king-posts with raked struts. Similar roof in chancel; scissor-truss roof in E chapel of aisle. Pews with blind trefoils to ends. Two-bay arcade of Bathstone; double-chamfered arches on quatrefoil section pier with moulded cap. Double-chamfered chancel arch with bulbous stops at springing-level. Single arch from chancel to aisle. Timber pulpit with open cusped panels. Floor level to chancel raised in C19, cutting across C17 Scourfield tomb. Aisle is empty, subdivided at E end. Plain plastered tower arch. Base of tower is barrel-vaulted; Tudor-headed door to stair. Font is probably Norman with low scalloped square bowl, much repaired and restored. Fine monument in chancel to William Scourfield, d1621. Wall-tomb with arcaded chest having fluted pilasters, inscription on slab. Upper stage of three bays divided by Ionic colonettes, central tablet with strapwork; big heraldic shield above within roundel with greyhound crest. William Henry Scourfield, MP, d1843. Greek style tablet with small coat of arms in pediment; by the Patent Works, Westminster. Plain barrel-vaulted crypt under chancel is entered via narrow passage underneath later aisle from outside. Crypt contains several lead coffins to C18-C19 Scourfields, some with splendid coats of arms and velvet hangings. Also, bones of a greyhound, said to have died of starvation in the crypt under the coffin of his master. Several iron taper-holders set into walls. West wall of crypt seems to be an insertion, with possibly more tombs beyond.
Listed at Grade II* as a large medieval parish church with fine west tower. Late C19 restoration preserved fine C17 Scourfield monument in chancel. Unusually well-preserved crypt.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings