History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable block opposite Mote House

A Grade II Listed Building in New Moat, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8908 / 51°53'26"N

Longitude: -4.8108 / 4°48'38"W

OS Eastings: 206679

OS Northings: 225091

OS Grid: SN066250

Mapcode National: GBR CS.R3C9

Mapcode Global: VH2NK.KQLX

Entry Name: Stable block opposite Mote House

Listing Date: 15 October 2004

Last Amended: 15 October 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 83182

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Just to the E of and facing Moat House some 470m SW of the Church of Saint Nicholas.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Clarbeston Road

Community: New Moat (Y Mot)

Community: New Moat

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Maenclochog

History

One of a pair of opposed stable blocks, earlier C19, built for the demolished Mote or Moat mansion. the range opposite is converted to house and named Mote House. The mansion was built in the 1820s or 1830s for W. H. Scourfield. The Scourfields owned the estate from the late C14 to 1926. The estate was called Nova Mota in 1438. The old house became ruinous in the late C18 when W. H. Scourfield Sr left for Robeston Hall. He died in 1805 and his son W. H. Scourfield Jr built a new mansion and presumably the lodge c.1820-30. He died in 1843, and a relative J.H. Phillips of Williamston inherited. He took the name Scourfield in 1862 and became a baronet 1876, the year he died. His son, Sir Owen Scourfield of Moat and Williamston died 1921.

Exterior

Stable range, rubble stone with asbestos slate roof. Single-storey, seven-bay front with arched openings with stone voussoirs. Two outer doors, four small-paned sash windows with radiating tracery to heads and centre lower curved-backed broad arched niche, formerly rendered within. Boarded doors with arch heads above infilled. Right gable end appears to have been truncated with rough ends to outer walls.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special historic interest as one of a pair of formally designed early C19 stable ranges.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Mote House
    Some 450m SW of the Church of Saint Nicholas, reached by a drive W off a minor road.
  • II* Parish Church of Saint Nicholas
    Prominently situated on S side of village on W side of road; raised rounded graveyard.
  • II Mote Lodge
    On the W side of a minor road some 200m S of the Church of Saint Nicholas.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.