This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6938 / 51°41'37"N
Longitude: -4.938 / 4°56'16"W
OS Eastings: 197041
OS Northings: 203542
OS Grid: SM970035
Mapcode National: GBR G8.C7G2
Mapcode Global: VH1S0.CPBC
Plus Code: 9C3QM3V6+GQ
Entry Name: Pembroke Dock Railway Station
Listing Date: 14 July 1981
Last Amended: 18 February 1994
Source ID: 6311
Building Class: Transport
Location: Set back from N side of street, which is the eastern continuation of Dimond Street.
Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)
Community: Pembroke Dock
Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Pembroke and Tenby Railway built 1863-4 to Pembroke Dock, extended later to Dockyard and new pier to W of Hobbs Point (1871-2). Taken over by G W R 1896. Station platform covered and extended 1903. A further canopied building existed on N side of tracks but has been demolished.
1870-1 railway station designed by J W Szlumper, engineer to Pembroke and Tenby Railway, extended 1903. Rock-faced grey limestone with Bath stone dressings and banded slate roofs. Single storey, Gothic, recessed centre range between two half-hipped gabled wings with fretted bargeboards. Two pairs of diagonally-set ashlar stacks on main ridge. Grey rock-faced quoins, ashlar courses above plinth, at sill level, arch-springing level and across gables. Long pointed window to each wing with bead-moulded frame, herringbone brick over 4-pane sash. Blank ashlar roundel in each gable. Centre is asymmetrical with segmental-pointed heads to windows, and four-pane sashes. A pair to left and single-light, door and pair grouped to right. Dentilled and nogged eaves cornice. Door has half-hipped large slated timber hood on brackets, breaking eaves, and has moulded shouldered head over double doors and overlight. In angle to right a single-storey flat-roofed addition with Bath stone framed square window, plinth, band and eaves. Recessed is long screen wall carrying platform canopy with wall-face stack and blank square windows in sequence W, WW, WW, door, W, WW, the doorway broad with big ashlar lintel. Corrugated canopy roof.
W end has canopied open space with W supporting wall and rear wall to platform, four iron trusses, three blank square windows in W wall, door and two windows to platform. Platform elevation is obscured by 10-bay canopy, but has half-hipped gables each side, each with door and window, and centre WDWW sequence. Canopy continues E, supported on screen wall, two iron columns with leaf capitals.
Other nearby listed buildings