History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No.8 Westgate Hill,,,,,dyfed,

A Grade II Listed Building in Pembroke, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6762 / 51°40'34"N

Longitude: -4.9202 / 4°55'12"W

OS Eastings: 198196

OS Northings: 201529

OS Grid: SM981015

Mapcode National: GBR G8.WD4P

Mapcode Global: VH1S6.N4RC

Entry Name: No.8 Westgate Hill,,,,,dyfed,

Listing Date: 14 July 1981

Last Amended: 29 July 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6467

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the S side of the road opposite Pembroke Castle and some 75m E of Monkton Bridge.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Pembroke

Community: Pembroke (Penfro)

Community: Pembroke

Built-Up Area: Pembroke

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Pembroke

History

House of medieval origins which was roofless in C19 and was renovated in 1961. The 1881 illustration shows possibly a tower-like taller roof over right section, and square-headed mullioned windows both in the main front and in the blocking of the arch under the corbelling to right. The roadway was formerly much higher. The medieval front door has had its sill lowered. The blocked tall arch to right is said to have been the 'Ladies Walk' from the castle to the Parade.

Exterior

House, raised up above roadway on bedrock. Rubble stone with close-eaved slate roof. Two storeys, roughly four bays, the front wall recessed to right with corbelling above. Centre right doorway up steps rising laterally from street. Modern leaded casements with stone voussoirs, all longer than those shown in 1881 view. From left: a casement pair to ground floor with triple casement above, secondly a casement pair to ground floor but at a slightly higher level, thirdly, a casement pair above pointed chamfered medieval doorway with broach stops and C20 plank door, and fourthly, below corbelling, a high segmental arch with stone voussoirs to a former passageway to The Parade, which has been filled in and has a segmental arched triple window. 1881 view shows a winfow above the corbelling and two storeys under the arch, both with mullioned windows.
Rear wall has C20 lateral chimney. To the right was a small lancet, since blocked, and to left a wide relieving arch above a C20 window, probably the counterpart of the arch in the front wall.

Interior

Interior renewed. Fireplace on rear wall of left room.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a medieval house retaining corbelling over former throughway and pointed doorway.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.