History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Welston Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Carew, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6836 / 51°41'1"N

Longitude: -4.8476 / 4°50'51"W

OS Eastings: 203247

OS Northings: 202157

OS Grid: SN032021

Mapcode National: GBR GB.9TKY

Mapcode Global: VH1S1.XYN6

Entry Name: Welston Court

Listing Date: 8 April 1991

Last Amended: 6 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6554

Building Class: Domestic

Location: In a remote location reached by a track (the continuation of Stambridge Lane) running for 1 km SW from Milton Village.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Tenby

Community: Carew (Caeriw)

Community: Carew

Locality: Welston

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Carew

History

The house originated c.1850. It was approximately square in plan and had a small central porch at the NW side. In 1894 it was greatly enlarged for John Evans with a new porch at the NE side and with outer wings at the NW and SE terminating in advanced bowed ends. The architect for the improvements was William Thomas, Pembroke Borough Surveyor. John Evans' monogram and the dates 1644 and 1894 are incorporated in the mosaic of the NE entrance porch.

Exterior

Two storeys, facing NE, with a three-window centre block and outer bowed ends. Symmetrical cemented fa├žade with solid parapets and band course. Balustered upstand over centre. Slate roofs with moulded chimney-stacks behind parapets. 12-pane sash windows in plain reveals, marginal glazing and French windows to the ground floor of the bows. Solid central porch with terracotta balustrades and capitals to paired pilasters. Left bow with fine cast-iron verandah by Macfarlane's foundry of Glasgow, scrolled decoration to openwork handrail and spandrels.

Interior

The house retains the plan-form of hall plus library flanked by drawing and dining rooms to the ground floor. The arched surrounds in the hall plus the white marble fireplace in the library are retained from the house of c.1850. Throughout the rest of the house is good late-C19 detailing, including timber fittings and plasterwork cornices; the full-height chimneypiece in the hall is dated 1896.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a very fine gentleman's house of the last years of the C19 formed by enlarging an earlier house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Barn at Upper Lamphey Barn
    About 500m S of Deerpark Lane, at NW end of farm complex; barn abuts medieval buildings to N
  • II* Four Mediaeval House at Upper Lamphey Park Farm
    About 500m S of Deerpark Lane, at NW end of the farm complex.
  • II Upper Nash Farmhouse
    At the S side of the unclassified road in the hamlet of Upper Nash. As this farmhouse was probably the nucleus of the hamlet its farm buildings are situated on both sides of the road. Including a gra
  • II Telephone Call-box
    On the W approach of Milton Bridge.
  • II Milton Bridge
    In the village of Milton, about 30 m N of the A477 road.
  • II* The Fortified Rectory
    100 m SW of St Mary's churchyard.
  • II St. Mary's Churchyard Wall
    Wall to the churchyard of St Mary's, with gates to the N, W and S.
  • II Old Almshouses
    At NW corner of St. Mary's churchyard, facing W to the lane. The almshouses are the last two remaining from a row known in the C19 as 'Alms Row'. A mounting-block is adjacent to the N gable.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.