This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6892 / 51°41'21"N
Longitude: -4.8305 / 4°49'49"W
OS Eastings: 204452
OS Northings: 202733
OS Grid: SN044027
Mapcode National: GBR GB.9RSG
Mapcode Global: VH2PJ.7S5X
Plus Code: 9C3QM5Q9+MR
Entry Name: The Fortified Rectory
Listing Date: 14 May 1972
Last Amended: 6 February 1997
Source ID: 5947
Building Class: Domestic
Location: 100 m SW of St Mary's churchyard.
Community: Carew (Caeriw)
Locality: Carew Cheriton
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Tagged with: Building
Carew Rectory was included in the grant of Royal property to the Bishopric in 1547 in exchange for Lamphey Palace. The mediaeval part of the house is its W range, about 10 m in length. A lateral chimney stands against the N wall. It has a cross-wing roof at its E end, the trusses of which remain visible internally. An upper floor has been inserted served by a stone staircase in a lateral outshut against the S wall. This part predates the fortified element, which is a three-storey defensive tower with a large winding staircase in a side turret. There appears to have been a first-floor entrance to the tower beneath a four-centred Tudor arch. That the fortified tower is secondary is evident as an upper door from it into the main house could be defended on the tower side.
The Rectory was garrisoned in the Civil War, and after the war it, like the Castle, fell into decay, so that Fenton in 1811 described it as unroofed and in ruins. It was taken back into use in the early C19, and a double-pile two-window and two-storey block added at the E end. A fine C18 staircase saved from Lawrenny Hall was installed c.1850. The new wing contains a dining room at the front above a vaulted cellar and a kitchen at the rear. The Church Commissioners sold the house into private ownership in 1908.
At the entrance to the grounds there is a 40 m length of high wall with a raised section incorporating a large archway.To the S and W of the house is a walled garden, and the Former Tithe Barn is about 50 m to the NW.
The house is approached from the N side. The defensive tower is central, with the early part on the right and the C19 wing at the left. Mostly random-rubble masonry, some of it coursed. The main roofs are gabled with slates and a tiled ridge. There is an end-chimney at the W and two chimneys attached to the tower; another in the centre of the E wing. The central tower and the adjacent stairs turret have the start of corbelled parapets but with a later hipped roof and no surviving crenellations. Twelve-pane sash windows in the older parts, 16-pane hornless sash windows in the E wing, all C19, with rendered surrounds. In the defensive tower one of the windows occupies the space of an earlier larger opening beneath a four-centred arch at first-floor level. The present main doorway is beneath this. The stairs turret beside the tower is lit by loopholes and by one inserted sash window at the side.
The early cross-wing roof consists of four surviving arch-braced collar-beam trusses with a wide chamfer to the underside. The trusses are not visible above collar level and nothing is visible of any purlins or windbracing.
A doorway from the defensive tower into the main part of the house has holes in the stone reveals for a bar to be drawn across.
Listed II* as a rectory retaining substantial medieval fabric, including a fortified tower and with later remodelling work of some quality.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings