This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6794 / 51°40'45"N
Longitude: -5.0332 / 5°1'59"W
OS Eastings: 190395
OS Northings: 202204
OS Grid: SM903022
Mapcode National: GBR G6.G6B4
Mapcode Global: VH1S4.P1ZX
Entry Name: Church of St Decumanus
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 29 September 1993
Source ID: 6591
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in centre of village, in large churchyard.
Built-Up Area: Rhoscrowther
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Medieval parish church, possibly C13 nave and chancel with C14 SE chapel, tower and N transept. Restored from 1852, and in 1869-70 by F Wehnert of Milford, who reroofed it, and 1910 by W D Caroe.
Rubble stone with slate roofs. Nave, chancel, SE chapel, N transept, S tower over S transept, SW vestry and N porch. Chancel and transepts irregularly aligned. Fine tall Pembrokeshire tower, with corbelled parapet and C17 or C18 obelisk corner finials. Plain unmoulded small bell-openings, two to E and W, one to S. S side C19 2-light window. SW stair tower in five shallow steps. Nave has signs of window blocked when tower was built, blocked unmoulded pointed S door and small 1869 2-light over; then gabled SW addition, said to have been a small oratory annexed to a removed S porch. C19 details, S window, SW cross gabled chimney and W door. Nave W end has battered angles and big 1852 3-light window, with older voussoirs over. Large vaulted N porch with wide rounded arch, unmoulded and, in gable, two reset carved shields and carved angel (said to have come from Angle Church). N transept adjoins closely, C19 small 2-light N window. Nave E gable has sanctus bellcote. Squint between transept and chancel with C19 2-light window. Chancel has C19 2-light E window, and end-wall has evidence of gable repairs. Adjoining SE chapel has C19 2-light E window, two S side C19 2-light windows and C19 buttress.
N porch contains fine square scalloped C12 or C13 font from Pwllcrochan. Unmoulded pointed N door, with tiny carved medieval figure of Risen Christ over, found in a nearby farm. Nave has 5-bay C19 roof, small whitewashed late Norman square scalloped font, N side tomb recess, C19 patterned glass in W window and two commandment boards. Fine baroque monument to F Powell of Greenhill (1716) from Pwllcrochan. 1880 glass by H Hughes of London in S window. 1869 timber pulpit and lectern. Corbel each side to W of transept openings. Plastered chancel arch. Plastered stone vault to N transept, stone pointed arches to transept and S tower. Transept has tomb recesses on W and N sides, inscribed tomb slab in W recess. Richly carved C15 base of a monument or shrine between N transept and nave with quatrefoil decoration. Lower chamber of tower is vaulted, SW tower door. Segmental arch through to SE chapel, and damaged stone bowl (may be a quern) with square rim. Chancel has C19 roof, mid C14 recess with remains of cusping and side finials, two plastered arches to SE chapel, octagonal centre pier, damaged piscina in S wall, recess in E wall and 1878 stained glass E window. SE chapel has corbels on N wall, C19 roof, two S wall tomb recesses, one with carved C14 female effigy, and two medieval coffin-lids reset on W wall. Piscina on S wall, ogee pointed. Plaque to WáMeares of Eastington (d 1768). C19 altar and pulpit from Pwllcrochan. E window of c1960 by Celtic Studios. SW vestry has pointed arched recesses to E and S walls.
Other nearby listed buildings