History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Three Cocks Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Gwernyfed, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0328 / 52°1'57"N

Longitude: -3.2052 / 3°12'18"W

OS Eastings: 317421

OS Northings: 237837

OS Grid: SO174378

Mapcode National: GBR YX.G5M5

Mapcode Global: VH6BP.D5FH

Entry Name: The Three Cocks Hotel

Listing Date: 28 February 1952

Last Amended: 15 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 6648

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Located on the N bank of a stream at the junction of the main Hay to Brecon road with the minor road to Tregoyd Mill, the main range of the building set parallel to the latter. Cobbled forecourt.

County: Powys

Community: Gwernyfed

Community: Gwernyfed

Locality: Aberllynfi

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Glasbury

History

A hostelry is recorded on the site from the C15. The present building is of the early-mid C17 possibly built for the Williams of Llangoed, refurbished in early C18, for travellers on the roads. The inn was in the later C18 kept by Thomas, the youngest brother of William Edwards of Eglwysilian, (1719-1789), the famous bridge builder, who built the bridge at Glasbury which was destroyed in the great flood of 1795. The three cocks on an argent field are said to be the arms granted to Enion Sais by Edward III after the battle of Crécy.

Exterior

Colourwashed rubble stone with stone slate roofs. The building comprises a long NE-SW range of 5 bays, with a higher cross wing set forward at the NE end, and a lean-to added to the cross wing in the angle. Various C20 extensions to the rear, and a single storey addition at the SW end extending up to the stream. Entrance is a panelled door in the 3rd bay, raised over 4 steps, and secondary doors to the two S bays. Twelve-paned sashes to both ranges, but 2 timber casement windows over the main door and a large tripartite 12-pane sash to the S bays. Two gabled dormers, and a raised dormer window in wing. Three major stone stacks with diagonally set shafts at the gable end of the wing, and at the junction of the two ranges.

Interior

Main entrance has ovolo-quirk-ogee moulded oak doorcase. Main stone fireplace to right of door, altered. Box stair to rear of stack has simple C17 newels with square knob terminals, and straight splats. Blocked window to rear of main hall originally had ovolo moulded mullions, removed 1974. Stair to right to raised lounge, panelled in 1955, perhaps originally an assembly room. Sitting room below with 3 chamfered cross beams and gable stack with chamfered firebeam with bullnosed stops. Cross beams in main range have elongated ogee stops. The 3-bay cross wing behind main stack was originally timber framed on a stone ground floor. Jowled posts and a large central 'tree' post. Tie and collar trusses with raking struts, and 3 tiers of purlins.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a building, with stone tiled roof and cobbled forecourt, retaining the character and some features of an early hostelry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.