History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block at Gwernyfed High School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gwernyfed, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0287 / 52°1'43"N

Longitude: -3.2027 / 3°12'9"W

OS Eastings: 317584

OS Northings: 237382

OS Grid: SO175373

Mapcode National: GBR YY.G67G

Mapcode Global: VH6BP.F8QM

Entry Name: Stable Block at Gwernyfed High School

Listing Date: 5 January 1976

Last Amended: 15 December 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17047

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on the NE side of the front forecourt to Gwernyfed High School (Gwernyfed Park), and attached to the N corner of the house.

County: Powys

Community: Gwernyfed

Community: Gwernyfed

Locality: Aberllynfi

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Glasbury

History

The house was built in 1877-80 by William Eden Nesfield for Capt. Thomas Wood, then living at Old Gwernyfed. The stables, coachhouses and accommodation were built at the same time.

The buildings became a school in 1950 at which time the buildings around the coach yard were converted to practical teaching accommodation, with caretakers' flats on the upper floor.

Exterior

Grey and pink stone with limestone dressings, as the house. Red tiled roof. Two storeys, with attics. Rectangular inner courtyard, with open carriageway between the front 'U'-block, and the rear block. The forecourt elevation is approximately symmetrical about a central carriage arch, the chamber above having a 5-light mullioned window within a raised coped gable with an inset gilded clock, a bas-relief cock above, and tall finial also carrying a stone cock. Lofty ground floor above a high-chamfered plinth. Small 2-light windows, and string course below the low upper floor, also with 2-light windows. Stack towards house end, and a small doorway against the main building leads through a dog-leg passage to the stable yard. Central lead-clad bellcote with open white painted gallery and dome carrying a windvane finial.
Canted dormer windows, with flattened disc finials. Stable door and dormer on the E side.

Interior

The internal elevations, formerly coachhouses, tile-hung, with 3-light windows, the ground floor altered when the building was converted.

Reasons for Listing

Included at Grade II* as being both a successful design and an integral part of the design of the Grade II* house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.