This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9089 / 51°54'32"N
Longitude: -3.2567 / 3°15'24"W
OS Eastings: 313649
OS Northings: 224125
OS Grid: SO136241
Mapcode National: GBR YV.PYN4
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.H8PY
Entry Name: Trebinshwn house and attached stable wing
Listing Date: 17 January 1963
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 6760
Building Class: Domestic
Location: SE of Llangorse lake, set in grounds reached by a drive.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
A few features remain from a probably late C16 house - an arched fireplace and stone doorways in NW wing. Vaughan Poppy records Phillip Vaughan of Tyle-Glas who married the daughter of Lord Hereford in 1588 as the owner until 1601. House was rebuilt c 1630 creating a large E shaped building, the surviving C17 first floor windows being at a high level. This building reputedly the home of the sister of Henry Vaughan, the metaphysical poet who was born at nearby Newton. An extensive remodelling took place in 1805 with the erection of a grand Regency frontage for Admiral Sir Edward Hamilton who still owned the property at the time of the tithe 1839. Part of the Glanusk estate sale 1918. Trebinshwn has various spellings. Jones gives the provenance of the name as Pentre Sion or Tref pen Sion and traces the occupiers back to C16.
Large Regency mansion, a frontage on and remodelling of an older building; plan is roughly E-shaped with an added wing N. Of stone rendered to front with Welsh slate roof, shallow pitched with hipped cross gables and wide and shallow stone lateral stacks; further stacks to rear. Near symmetrical 2 storey frontage with balancing projecting wings, the left slightly wider. Central 3 window range, the centre bay breaking forward slightly; 3/6 pane sashes to first floor and 6/6 below all with narrow glazing bars, in reveals with shallow sills; string course at parapet level and the parapet stepped up over centre bay. Centre doorcase has brackets to pediment, fluted pilasters, panelled reveals, the 6-panelled door with Gothic glazed overlight is recessed. On each side shallow wings project, with channelled quoins and 2-storey canted bays with similar windows on 3 sides; bay to right flanked by narrow ground floor 4/4 pane sash windows.
Side wing extends left (S) with 3 window range of 3/6 pane horned sashes to first floor and 6/6 below with brick segmental arches and surrounds; narrow door with vertical panelling and 6 pane overlight. Rear elevation is of stone formerly lime-rendered; E shaped with 3 cross wings, hipped to right (S) and further extended left and stepped down (N); chimneys to gable ends and flanking centre wing; 2 end stacks to right wing. Central staircase wing has large Venetian window with smaller round arched window with Gothick glazing above; most windows to back range have segmental arched openings, some with brick dressings; wing to left (N) has two C17 windows with timber mullions. Side right elevation has a similar range of 3/6 pane sashes to first floor and 6/6 pane sashes to ground floor; side entrance.
Attached right is a converted stable wing of rubble with stone tiled roof and end stack; central gable with stone staircase ascending to the loft; at ground floor level a range of segmental arched doorways and 4 pane casement windows with voussoirs and narrow sills, and a round arched recess below the steps. Stable courtyard is bounded to front by a stone rubble wall. The whole complex is bounded by a curved retaining wall fronting the lane with ashlar gate piers to the two drive gateways at either side.
Interior retains much high quality plasterwork and joinery. Panelled shutters, 6 panelled doors with wide moulded surrounds, fireplaces, floorboards, almost all retained. Drawing room to right has deep panelled reveals and shutters to bay, some original plain glass in windows, decorative plaster scroll above door, very decorative carved leaf and fruit Rococo surround to fireplace. Hall ceiling has 2 rectangular panels with oval mouldings, moulded plaster frieze with emblems of feathers and animal head in alternate medallions, dado, small fireplace, recess with plaster shell moulded head, fluted pilasters flanking door. Basket-arched hall arch with panelled soffit and fluted pilasters leads to open well staircase with very wreathed handrail and slender turned balusters, decorative treads; second ramped handrail set against wall supported by narrow pilasters; ascends two storeys; Venetian staircase window enriched with panelled reveals supported by pilasters with an entablature with frieze of triglyphs and roundels. Intermediate small sitting room has early C19 firegrate with Classical motifs. Dining room has ceiling with oval plaster panels; foliage frieze with billet moulding above; bracketed fireplace; panelled bay with fluted pilasters and roundel frieze; decorative doorcase and adjacent display recess, all Classical detail with a roundel frieze.
Listed II* as an important Regency mansion retaining its plan and very good quality interior detail.
Group value with the garden wall.
Other nearby listed buildings