This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9492 / 51°56'57"N
Longitude: -3.3098 / 3°18'35"W
OS Eastings: 310077
OS Northings: 228665
OS Grid: SO100286
Mapcode National: GBR YS.M9NR
Mapcode Global: VH6C0.L83L
Entry Name: Ty Mawr Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 January 1963
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 6771
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the centre of the small hamlet of Llan-y-wern NW of the church.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
c 1600 with late C17 alterations, further altered in C20 when improvement grant required replacement of wooden windows with steel and insertion of internal passages in 1960s ; roof collapsed under weight of stone tiles now replaced with slate, involved also some rebuilding of collapsed facing. Described in Brycheiniog survey as a long house derivative with early replacement of byre by kitchen. Whole of Llan-y-wern parish formerly belonged to Brecon Priory and by late C16 house belonged to Richard Gunter whose descendants became the Bowen family; Thomas Bowen High Sheriff 1672 and 1687 may have been responsible for rebuilding lower end of house.
Large farmhouse of two units, the smaller unit with a steeper roof pitch side-on to lane. Of limewashed stone rubble with Welsh slate roof and end and ridge stacks. Two storeys and attic. To garden frontage a 2 window range to larger unit left, and single to smaller right; 3 are 4/4 pane sashes of which two are segmentally arched. Gable end to road is battered with blocked square headed formerly mullioned window to staircase with small chamfered attic light above; 9 pane bedroom window. Rear elevation has to left a lean-to porch with round arched doorway, 3 stone steps up to interior which has stone benches, boarded door, small pantry window to right, blocked narrow light left; mounting block left. To right a two storey lean to rear wing with catslide roof and wide, low kitchen stack showing weathercoursing; rear external steps to first floor; some small pane fixed glazing, the rest replaced. Farmyard on other side of lane is large with a range of farm buildings, some derelict.
Interior not seen but described by owner as retaining 2 storey stone and oak staircase by chimney, timber beams boxed in; fireplaces remodelled.
Included notwithstanding alterations as a large early farmhouse retaining much of its basic fabric and with a dominating position in this farming hamlet.
Group value with the Church of St Mary, farm buildings of Ty Mawr and Ty Canol.
Other nearby listed buildings