History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crickhowell, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8588 / 51°51'31"N

Longitude: -3.1374 / 3°8'14"W

OS Eastings: 321763

OS Northings: 218418

OS Grid: SO217184

Mapcode National: GBR F0.T4DH

Mapcode Global: VH6CH.KJQV

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 9 May 1983

Last Amended: 25 September 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7211

Building Class: Civil

Location: Advanced from the contemporary stucco terrace overlooking 'The Square' near the junction with A40.

County: Powys

Community: Crickhowell (Crughywel)

Community: Crickhowell

Built-Up Area: Crickhowell

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Crickhowell

History

Built in 1833-4 by T H Wyatt at the time when 'The Square' was being formed. Replaced a probably C17 market hall on the site of the Lucas Memorial. T H Wyatt, who later designed the Shire Hall in Brecon, received this commission at the age of 26 through his uncle, Arthur Wyatt, agent to the Duke of Beaufort.

Exterior

2-storey, 3-bay English Renaissance facade (based on the style of Inigo Jones) but with Mannerist features such as the central empahsis achieved through recession not projection and the use of materials - ashlar with rubble quoins. Hipped slate roof with end parapets, swept out bracketed cornice and plain entablature to outer bays. 18-pane sash windows with moulded architraves and brackets to raised cornices to the centre surmounted by the Duke of Beaufort Arms. Deep cill band, cornice and entablature above tetrastyle portico with twin Doric columns in antis to ground floor formerly closed by iron gates; iron bracketed lamp to centre. Stone flagged pavement to coursed rubble ground floor, voussoirs and keystones to 3 segmental openings within; modern iron gates to outer bays.

Cantilevered staircase with wave moulded tread ends and foliage panelled banisters is retained to right in well with classical plaster cornice. Courtroom occupies the full frontage of the building, bays divided by segmental arches with portcullis' (the Beaufort arms) to spandrels; classical cornice, bracketed hood to panelled doors and reveals.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Cheese Press
    At the corner with Silver Lane and adjoining the Town Hall.
  • II James Isaac
    At the top of the street with fronts to 'The Square'. A planned terrace adjoining the Town Hall and Uniform with Nos 11 to 13 (consec) to right.
  • II Pip's Shop
    At the top of the street with fronts to 'The Square'. A planned terrace adjoining the Town Hall and Uniform with Nos 11 to 13 (consec) to right.
  • II Corn Exchange PH
    On the corner with Beaufort Street and set back from the main part of the Corn Exchange Inn to the right.
  • II Jubliee House (M.T.Cashell,Family Butcher)
    Set into a continuous row of frontages with short terrace to right.
  • II Memorial Fountain
    On an island site at the top of the High Street at the junction with Beaufort Street (A40).
  • II Crickhowell Bakery
    At the top of the street with fronts to 'The Square'. A planned terrace adjoining the Town Hall and Uniform with Nos 11 to 13 (consec) to right.
  • II F.E.Richards, Butcher & Floriana (above)
    On the corner with Beaufort Street and set back from the main part of the Corn Exchange Inn to the right.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.