This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.552 / 52°33'7"N
Longitude: -3.2384 / 3°14'18"W
OS Eastings: 316128
OS Northings: 295626
OS Grid: SO161956
Mapcode National: GBR 9W.D9CN
Mapcode Global: VH684.T3BZ
Entry Name: Dolforwyn Hall Hotel
Listing Date: 10 March 1953
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 7551
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the W edge of the Severn valley, the ground sloping sharply upwards to the rear.
Community: Llandyssil (Llandysul)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
A timber framed house, said to date from 1595, was the earliest structure on the site. A second range was constructed to the rear, probably in the C18. The 3 bay front was built c1830 by John Pryce, vicar of Bettws Cedewain.
The main part of the house is a range of c1830 in picturesque Gothick style. Two storey, 3 bay symmetrical front with gables flanking embattled advanced central bay. Render with stressed quoins and plinth under slate roofs; fretted barge boards to gables and wide boarded eaves. Two brick stacks towards rear. The entrance is in embattled porch supported by narrow columns of quatrefoil section. The entrance is under a segmental arch and the sides of the porch are glazed with small panes under round heads. Half-lit double doors with round heads and Gothick tracery. Above the porch is a 16-pane sash window with a triple keyed wedge lintel. The flanking gables each have floor length 24 pane sash windows with interlaced tracery in pointed arched heads to ground floor; similar 16-pane sash windows above, all with hoodmoulds. Two-window return elevations with floor length groundfloor windows. The S side has sash windows under triple keyed wedge lintels one of which has been extended to form a door. On the N side there are 2 upper storey sashes and one below, all with triple keystones. To their W is a recessed area with a plain 18-pane sash to the first floor and a lean-to porch below with half-lit double doors with Gothick tracery and recessed panels. Extending for some distance northwards from the NW angle of the house is a battlemented wall, which incorporates a doorway into the service areas behind the house. It has a plain planked door under a pointed arched head with a blind traceried tympanum.
Behind the main part of the house is the earliest timber framed range. The N gable is visible and is square panelled with brick nogging, showing that the roof was raised to form a second storey. Fretted bargeboards and a pendant have been added, and there is a C20 casement window at first floor level. Parallel and to the rear of this is a 3 storeyed range with a full-height wing to the SE, obscuring the S gable of the earlier building. This range is of brick rendered to the S, under a slate roof and with 2 end stacks and 1 ridge stack. 3-light wooden casement window to each storey of the E side and wing with segmental arched heads, except for those in the top storey. To the rear the arrangement of openings has been changed over the years. There is a large infilled archway at ground level, and the S part has a timber bressumer at first floor level with 3 sash windows below. Most windows are under segmental brick heads; there is one cast iron window with quadrant stays, but most are C20. To the W of the house there is a high rubble retaining wall with recessed arched openings, the ground rising up steeply behind.
Original layout of main block comprised 2 main rooms with central hallway: this has been opened out with the removal of partition walls. Corridor to rear of main block, with staircase at N end.
Consistent and high quality detailing throughout: Ornate moulded plasterwork including cornices with friezes and square foliate bosses, foliate ceiling roses, hanging rails and dado rails. The woodwork includes 6-panelled doors, fluted door frames with foliate bosses, and panelled shutters. The fine oak staircase has thin balusters and a moulded hand rail.
Open timber framing can be seen in the rear ranges some of which is not in situ. There are wood planked doors. These ranges also include moulded oak fireplaces with 'Keystones' and moulded oak sills, which are probably part of the 1830 remodelling.
Listed as an exceptionally good example of a picturesque Gothick villa, with high quality, consistent detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings