History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White Hopton, also known as Pied Hopton

A Grade II Listed Building in Kerry, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5116 / 52°30'41"N

Longitude: -3.1402 / 3°8'24"W

OS Eastings: 322718

OS Northings: 291020

OS Grid: SO227910

Mapcode National: GBR B0.GX5P

Mapcode Global: VH68D.J48G

Entry Name: White Hopton, also known as Pied Hopton

Listing Date: 26 October 1953

Last Amended: 12 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7706

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located due E of Sarn, between Hopton isaf and Hopton uchaf.

County: Powys

Town: Newtown

Community: Kerry (Ceri)

Community: Kerry

Locality: Hopton Uchaf

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Sarn

History

Probably built for John Lewis Cadwallader, who appears to own the land c.1630. A lobby entry plan house, twice extended at the rear, first in the C18 and later after 1840 forming a square plan.

Exterior

Timber framed, with a slate roof, the C18-early C19 rear wing of stone. Framing is 3 panels high to ground floor, and a further 2 panels above the mid-wall bressumer, and jettied on plain brackets at the N end, the corner posts having monoxylous colonnettes, herringbone framing and a jettied gable over. Central boarded door within a C20 open gabled porch. C20 paned windows with coarsely moulded architraves, approximating to the former paned sashes. S gable framing painted on rendering. Central brick stack with octagonal brick flues. Rear wing of 2 storeys. Modern doors and windows.

Interior

Parlour, to left of stack, has chamfered beams forming a 6-bay ceiling with exposed joists. Stair originally behind stack, replaced by a straight flight in the post 1840 wing. Back-to-back stone fireplaces, larger on the kitchen side, with oven under original stair. Chamfered fire beams. Straight windbraces to central bay and gable trusses. A number of good C17 ledged and boarded doors.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well-preserved typical timber framed house within the Montgomeryshire tradition.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pant
    Former farmhouse located at the bottom of a narrow valley cutting into Pant Hill, 2 Km ESE of Sarn.
  • II Barn at Pant
    Barn located at the bottom of a narrow valley cutting into Pant Hill, lying opposite the SE facing front of the farmhouse, 2 Km ESE of Sarn.
  • II Farm buildings at Gwern-y-go
    The farm buildings lie on the SE side and against the road from Kerry to Churchstoke, with the access to the farm on the SW side.
  • II Pentrenant Farmhouse
    Located in the hamlet of Pentrenant, the S end facing the road. There are a number of stone outbuildings to the N and E.
  • II Pentrenant Hall
    Located in the hamlet of Pentrenant behind Pentrenant Farmhouse, and possibly replacing it as the primary residence. Approached by a driveway, at the end of which are ornate cast iron gate piers.
  • II Bacheldre Hall
    Located in the hamlet of Bacheldre close to Bacheldre Malthouse and Bacheldre Farmhouse on low lying ground. The house is fronted by a driveway and garden, with farm buildings to the S.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.