This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5281 / 52°31'41"N
Longitude: -3.1179 / 3°7'4"W
OS Eastings: 324256
OS Northings: 292839
OS Grid: SO242928
Mapcode National: GBR B1.FWK1
Mapcode Global: VH686.XQ19
Plus Code: 9C4RGVHJ+7R
Entry Name: Bacheldre Mill
Listing Date: 9 October 1970
Last Amended: 1 October 1996
Source ID: 7723
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located in a low lying position next to a stream which flows N into the River Caebitra. It stands in a yard at right angles to the miller's house, a double depth, masonry building with alterations, a
Community: Churchstoke (Yr Ystog)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Possibly late C18. It was designed for two pairs of stones, probably one set for flour and one for animal fodder. It ground animal fodder until 1960, except during World War II when it ground flour. It was derelict until 1986 when restoration took place, and flour grinding resumed.
The mill comprises two ranges at right angles with the front facing towards the E. The S range, orientated E-W and containing mill machinery, is of random rubble masonry and is of 1 bay and 3 storeys. It is probably the earliest part of the mill. The N range orientated N-S, is of 1 bay and 2 storeys. It has a brick front under a slate roof while its N gable is partially rebuilt, with a masonry lower storey, timber cladding above and a modern porch with a sloping roof. The rear is of random rubble masonry throughout but there is a vertical joint between the 2 ranges. Behind it is a well preserved stone-built wheel pit, the tail race running northwards in a culvert beneath the driveway. The cast iron wheel is overshot; cast iron shaft brought in from elsewhere. An earlier wooden shaft can still be seen but is not in situ. The buckets were replaced in 1986. The wheel is fed from a cast iron head stock which is supported and operated through the wall of the mill. The head stock is fed by a cast iron pipe which comes from the well preserved mill pool immediately to the S of the mill. The ground level to the S was raised to support the mill pond, and there is a plain planked door into the mill at first floor level, plus one 4-pane iron casement window.
The gable (E) elevation of the mill contains stable-type doors to the ground floor, with similar hoist access above. There are two 4-pane casement windows, one in the gable apex and one at ground floor level. The brick fronted range contains one set of stable doors, which has one light with diamond quarries. The N gable contains a loft hatch at first floor level and modern windows in the masonry section.
The mill contains a combination of original and modern machinery and is working on a regular basis. The first floor is of oak, with an original hatch and supports one pair of French burr stones underdriven by a spur wheel dating to 1847. The main vertical drive shaft passes through the floor between them and up into the 2nd storey where it operates a sack hoist. On the ground floor, the wheels and gears can be seen and include a primary gear wheel, and the spur wheel which drives two small cog wheels, each of which drives the stones above. The door frames appear to be of reused timber. Some contain sockets, and one contains an inscription with a date of 1747. Flour dressing machine in S range powered by main shaft.
Listed as a well preserved working mill containing much original machinery and fittings, along with mill pond and wheel pit.
Other nearby listed buildings