This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5261 / 52°31'34"N
Longitude: -3.1212 / 3°7'16"W
OS Eastings: 324032
OS Northings: 292620
OS Grid: SO240926
Mapcode National: GBR B1.FVNB
Mapcode Global: VH686.VRBT
Plus Code: 9C4RGVGH+FG
Entry Name: Bacheldre House
Listing Date: 26 October 1953
Last Amended: 1 October 1996
Source ID: 7702
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in the hamlet of Bacheldre opposite Bacheldre malthouse on low lying land. There is a courtyard to the front of the building, enclosed by a large L-shaped barn and a bakehouse to the rear.
Community: Churchstoke (Yr Ystog)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Originating from the early-mid C17, with C18 alterations. The most significant alterations involved the movement of the chimney from its central position opposite the entrance to the N gable of the house, and the insertion of a new staircase. Shown on the Churchstoke Tithe Map of 1840 as House, Malthouse, Buildings, etc. owned by Edward Farmer.
Timber-framed farmhouse. 2 storeyes and attic, 3 bay plan with projecting gabled porch to central bay. Slate roof and substantial stone gable stack to the N. The sill beam sits on a low masonry plinth and the framing is 4 panels high and close studded below the mid rail and box framed with plaster panels above. The porch is close studded throughout and the upper storey is jettied and supported by a moulded bressumer and ringed capitals. The planked front door may be original and is within a plain doorcase. A possible original window opening is visible on the S side of the porch which consists of a panel with three narrow, vertical struts. The front elevation is a 3 window range with cast iron casements with small panes and quadrant stays. Those at the N end have unusual vertical bars formed by twisted cast iron. The S gable is jettied and has a moulded bressumer with consoles at each end. It is close studded below the jetty, but rendered above. The rendering continues round to the rear, where it has been painted black and white. The rear elevation reveals C18 and C20 alterations. In the centre is a C18 gabled wing with 2 lateral stacks. It is of random rubble in the lower storey with red brickwork above and contains cast iron casement windows. The kitchen extension incorporates an early outshut.
The ground floor consists of a central hall with staircase, a reception room at each end, and an extension to the rear. There are 2 spine beams in each reception room and one in the hall, all with deep chamfers and cut stops. On the first floor, the arrangement is the same except that the S bedroom has only one spine beam. Very substantial corner posts are visible in many rooms with box framing revealed in some. The original roof structure can be seen in the attic and has a steep pitch. The tie beam is at floor level with 2 through purlins above which have deep chamfers. Cross members have been added in some locations including 2 wind braces near the S end. Within the modern extension to the rear, it is possible to see the external NW corner of the original building. It comprises box framing with carpenters marks and a substantial corner post. The C18 rear extension contains timbers and trusses which appear to be reused from elsewhere. It is possible that there was an original projection in this location, perhaps for a stair case.
The C18 alterations include the large masonry fireplace at the N end which has a substantial wooden lintel; the staircase has square newels, 2 turned balusters per tread, scrolled tread ends and a hand rail which is swept to the bottom post. It continues to the attic, but is plainer in style with the balusters further apart. The detailing includes oak panelled doors, one with strap hinges, and wall panelling. In the S reception room, is a panelled corner cupboard and a panelled fireplace with round arched head and mantelpiece.
Listed as an exceptionally well preserved sub-medieval house. To the front, the framing survives in its entirety and the windows respect the frame. An original window, though blocked, appears to exist on the S side of the porch. The C18 alterations are consistent throughout, with fine detailing. The movement of the chimney from the centre to the end is itself an interesting adaptation of the earlier plan form. Forms a group with barns to the front and bakehouse to the rear.
Other nearby listed buildings