History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edderton Hall Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan), Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6151 / 52°36'54"N

Longitude: -3.1382 / 3°8'17"W

OS Eastings: 323035

OS Northings: 302532

OS Grid: SJ230025

Mapcode National: GBR B0.8B1W

Mapcode Global: WH79W.RJTK

Entry Name: Edderton Hall Hotel

Listing Date: 19 April 1982

Last Amended: 20 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 8662

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on a hilltop overlooking the Severn valley, and reached by a long driveway off the main Welshpool to Ludlow Road, 5 kilometres S of Welshpool.

County: Powys

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan

Locality: Kingswood

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Forden

History

A house is recorded in the old Domesday vill of Edderton in 1634 when occupied by a John Phillips. The present house was rebuilt or enlarged c.1830-40 by Richard Edmunds of the Exchequer of Pleas, London, who became a local benefactor. The house was at the centre of a small estate, and incorporates part of an earlier farmhouse, remains of which are said to be concealed in the present building. The estate was broken up c.1930 and the house has latterly become an hotel.

Exterior

White painted Roman cement, with hipped slate roofs. Gable brick stacks. Two storeys with an attic floor. The early C19 front block comprises two 2-storey bow-fronted bays, separated by a narrower bay containing the entrance. The attic floor is set back, and has a central flat roofed square bay, added in the C20. The entrance consists of Greek Doric columns in antis, with a recessed porch. The 2-storey bow-fronted bays have 15 pane sashes to the ground floor and 12-pane windows above, all windows furnished with fine glazing bars and boxes in reveals. Simple cornice and flat roof behind a low parapet. Wide boarded modillion eaves. At the NE end, a single storey extension with lean-to roof, a modification of an earlier pitched roof. At the SW end, a detached rectangular block also rendered, with a pitched slate roof and a tripartite window on the ground floor.

Interior

The entrance hall leads through a further pair of columns in antis into a narrow stair hall with a flying stair in the rear apsidal end, lit from a tall window in the rear wall. To the left, a dining room, and to the right, a drawing room, the latter opened out to a raised parlour at the rear, now the bar. Six-panelled doors with moulded surrounds and block corners. Both front rooms have cornice mouldings. Stone fireplace. The rear range of rooms is said to be timber framed and part of the earlier farmhouse.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine example of a Regency style house exploiting a commanding position.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pen-y-llan
    Located on a hilltop at the end of a long farm road which starts from near the centre of the hamlet of Forden.
  • II Former Crossing Keeper's Cabin
    Located at the end of a minor road leading SW from the A490 at Fron. Immediately to the south of Crossing Cottage Gate and facing onto the approach to the crossing over the Welshpool-Newtown railway l
  • II Mile marker on the Montygomery to Welshpool Road
    The mile marker stands at the N end of the village of Kingswood on the N side of the road to Leighton, and 120m N of Birds Corner.
  • II Church of St Michael
    Located beside the main road from Forden to Gaer, 500m W of its junction with the main A490 from Welshpool to Montgomery.
  • II Sundial in Chuchyard, Church of St Michael
    Located in the churchyard by the path to the tower door, approximately 16m S of the tower.
  • II Nantcribba
    Located on a site of considerable historic importance, with adjoining earthwork castle and moated site. It is reached by a farm road crossing Offa's Dyke between the hamlets of Kingswood and Forden,
  • II Loading Bay and Weighhouse at Cil-cewydd Corn Mill
    At Cil-cewydd mill, the Loading Bay building stands on the E side of the service yard on the E side of the mill, partly built into the bank.
  • II Farm Buildings at Nantcribba
    Located immediately E of the farmhouse, at the end of the farm road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.