This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7485 / 52°44'54"N
Longitude: -3.2179 / 3°13'4"W
OS Eastings: 317889
OS Northings: 317457
OS Grid: SJ178174
Mapcode National: GBR 6W.ZYN4
Mapcode Global: WH798.J5WS
Plus Code: 9C4RPQXJ+9R
Entry Name: Christ Church Parish Church
Listing Date: 6 August 1991
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 8699
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In the centre of the village, set at the top of a sloping rubble-walled churchyard.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The parish was consolidated from parts of the adjacent parishes in 1865, and the new church built in 1862-4 to the design of Sir George Gilbert Scott, architect, of London, at the expence of Mrs. Williams of Bryngwyn Hall, and foundation stone being laid and dated November 12th 1862 and consecrated on the 29th October 1863. The cost was ú1,542. The Williams family also funded the erection of the school and rectory in 1870.
Plain Early English' style; small aisleless church with apsidal E end. Random dolerite rubble construction with buttresses and Cefn freestone dressings; slate roof with cresting and cross finials. Gabled bellcote to W end and gabled S porch with ramped sides pierced by circular windows; chamfered entrance arch with corbelled and roll moulded inner order; Maw & Co. tiled pavement and boarded door. Windows are twinned lancets with chamfered surrounds, the chancel windows distinguished by octagonal central shafts with nailhead capitals. Five lancets to apse; 3 separate lancets to W end linked by string course at sill level; rose windows above. Gable ended vestry to NW appears to be a later addition (brick walled internally); similar, but original, chamber to NE with 2-light window.
Glass: The E window is dedicated to Martin Williams of Bryngwyn, by Wailes (1863 and 1873) and at W, to Barrett Lee, by Powell (1877), designed by J.W.Brown.
Undivided whitewashed interior with plain waggon-type roof to nave and fine radial rafter timber roof to the broad apse. Truncated pilasters to chancel arch; tiled chancel pavement and with glazed tiles forming dado around the sanctuary. Inscription on altar steps and cusped arch detail to altar rails. Polygonal Cefn stone pulpit with Gothic ornament and carving; painted organ case and octagonal font, the gift of Mary Cornwall-Legh, dated 1863. Brass sanctuary lamp and two fine brass candelabra.
Included as a remarkably complete example of a rural Victorian church for a new parish, exhibiting mid C19 patronage by local gentry.
Other nearby listed buildings