History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Shop

A Grade II Listed Building in Painscastle, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1088 / 52°6'31"N

Longitude: -3.2186 / 3°13'6"W

OS Eastings: 316641

OS Northings: 246305

OS Grid: SO166463

Mapcode National: GBR YX.9888

Mapcode Global: VH6B9.5898

Plus Code: 9C4R4Q5J+GH

Entry Name: The Old Shop

Listing Date: 18 September 1960

Last Amended: 31 August 2007

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 8762

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On S side of main road through the village to S of Pendre Farm.

County: Powys

Community: Painscastle (Castell-paen)

Community: Painscastle

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Find accommodation in
Llanbedr

History

Originally a late medieval cruck-framed hallhouse with timber walls, rebuilt in 1694 retaining its dais-end truss.

Exterior

Local grey stone; slate roof with stone chimney to L, and gabled dormer towards R. Modern small-pane glazing. Main block is parallel to road with, to L, an advanced 2-storey gabled block with window on each floor. To R of this, in main block, doorway with boarded door, and modern bow window. To R, lean-to section with doorway facing road. To L, lean-to stone garage with boarded doors. To rear, a lower block at right angles.

Interior

Not visited but said to retain its dais-end truss.

Reasons for Listing

A C17 century house with late medieval origins in historic centre of Painscastle retaining overall character and cruck from its predecessor.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pendre
    Prominent village location on north side of main through road, set back on slightly rising ground.
  • II Newhouse Barn
    Very prominent barn range lying 30 yards across road to south west of Newhouse and historically belonging to it.
  • II Newhouse
    Prominent village location at cross roads.
  • II Castle Farmhouse
    Lies on east side of Painscastle castle immediately abutting the ramparts.
  • II* Upper House
    Set into the east rampart of the castle bailey.
  • II Lower Pentre Farmhouse
    Lies on the south side of a by-road leading from Painscastle to Llandewi Fach church.
  • II Outbuilding Range running E to lower Pentre Farmhouse
    Lies on the south side of a by-road leading from Painscastle to Llandewi Fach church.
  • II Wern-Fawr Farmhouse
    Isolated position 3km north west of Clyro village. Reached off a lane east of the Clyro to Painscastle by-road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.