This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8558 / 51°51'20"N
Longitude: -4.3192 / 4°19'9"W
OS Eastings: 240373
OS Northings: 220005
OS Grid: SN403200
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TC96
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.2MY7
Plus Code: 9C3QVM4J+88
Entry Name: Porth Angel, including rear garden wall to Picton Place
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9537
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on E side of junction between Picton Terrace and Picton Place.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
End terrace house, earlier C19, built between the construction of the Picton monument 1825-8 and the 1834 map, altered with bay windows in later C19. Occupied by Thomas Davies in 1914 and by T.R. Thomas, veterinary surgeon, in 1926, the father of John S. Thomas MP, who was born here. The hipped corner to Picton Place is matched on No 27 across road, suggesting that they were originally designed as a matching feature.
End-terrace house, L-plan, painted roughcast, slate roof, hipped at left, paired bracketed eaves, with brick stack at right. Two-storey, 3-window range, later C19 detailing. Upper floor with late C19 tripartite plate glass sash windows each side and single plate glass sash to centre. Ground floor with canted stuccoed bay window with hipped roof to either side of central arched doorway. Late C19 stucco surround with cambered head and chamfered and stopped piers. Three stone steps up to C20 glazed door with plain fanlight. First floor thin stucco sill course. Plaque on party wall part-obscured possibly dated 1829.
Picton Place elevation of stucco lined as ashlar, with N gable end. Two window range set to left, 12-pane sashes to first floor, C20 door and 8-pane sash below. Addition to left with garage doors and small window over. Rubble stone garden wall along Picton Place some 25m length.
Much altered, curious plan in that front hall is skewed towards rear range, suggesting that rear range is older, although 1834 map shows front range only. Short section of original stair balustrade down to cellar with bulbous newel and open treads. Staircase on rear wall at right angles. Reeded ceiling borders in front rooms, doors covered over. Large cellar. Two 6-panel doors to first floor front, 3 in rear wing.
Included as a prominent corner house of late Georgian origins, altered in late C19. Part of the fine suburban development of Picton Terrace.
Other nearby listed buildings