This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8555 / 51°51'19"N
Longitude: -4.3078 / 4°18'28"W
OS Eastings: 241161
OS Northings: 219949
OS Grid: SN411199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T83T
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9M0G
Entry Name: Llys-y-Barnwr
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9565
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 25m NE of junction with Little Bridge Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Almost detached town house, now flats. Probably later C18, marked on 1834 map, but externally late C19, or even earlier C20 as alterations are recorded in 1922-3 for W.J. Wallis-Jones to plans by J.H. Morgan, but the present facade looks late C19. Used in mid C20 as judges' lodgings.
Quay Street is the most complete street of C18 houses left in Carmarthen, the street formed in the early C12 and already by the late middle ages the street of Carmarthen's most prominent families. No 19, which has been demolished, was dated 1698. It is not yet possible to establish precise dates for the other houses but most of them seem to be of C18 date, some retaining panelling and staircases of the period.
Nearly-detached house, painted stucco, slate roof with late C20 modillion eaves cornice and red brick stack at right. Three-storey, double-fronted, offset to right. Quoins to upper floors, channelled rustication to ground floor under broad moulded first floor sill band, and raised plinth. Plate-glass sashes. Upper floor with 2 small sashes, first floor with large tripartite sash to left and single sash right, ground floor also with tripartite sash to left, doorway right of centre and sash further right than windows above. Four stuccoed steps up to later C18 fielded-panelled 8-panel door with top 2 panels glazed, in late C19 casing: panelled pilasters and cornice on carved and scrolled consoles. Fielded panelled reveals probably also original.
Left red brick end stack removed since 1981.
Interior altered since 1981 when it had a C18 staircase and fielded panelled doors, all removed in conversion to flats. Hall fireplace of c.1900 with green tiles, inside of front door has big iron hinges and diagonal plank boarding.
Included, notwithstanding loss of interior features, as a prominent town house with late C19 exterior concealing C18 origins in the best surviving Georgian street in the town.
Other nearby listed buildings