History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Capel Fronwen

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanarth, Ceredigion

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1942 / 52°11'39"N

Longitude: -4.3048 / 4°18'17"W

OS Eastings: 242562

OS Northings: 257613

OS Grid: SN425576

Mapcode National: GBR DG.3WC1

Mapcode Global: VH3JY.B3LR

Plus Code: 9C4Q5MVW+M3

Entry Name: Former Capel Fronwen

Listing Date: 3 June 1964

Last Amended: 16 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9769

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated some 200m E of village centre, on S side of road to Oakford.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llanarth

Community: Llanarth

Built-Up Area: Llanarth

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Tagged with: Chapel

Find accommodation in
Llanarth

History

1857 former Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. The first chapel was built 1818, on land of Fronwen. Closed 1974 and used as workshop since.

Exterior

Rubble stone with grey stone dressings, bracketted eaves and slate roof. Broad gable front with two long arched windows, broad arched centre door and circular window over, level with side-window heads. Arched small date plaque: `Vron Wen Chapel by the Calvinistic Methodists 1857', in plain gable. Two window sides with similar long arched windows and two-window slate-hung rear. Windows have small panes with radiating bar heads, circular window has pretty tracery with coloured glass, the tracery echoed in broad fanlight over door. Three long arch-headed panels to doors.

Interior

All interior fittings removed. Plaster ceiling.

Reasons for Listing

A well-proportioned chapel in mid C19 Georgian style.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pandy
    Situated in centre of village, set back from A 487 on E side, just across Pont Llethi.
  • II Talybryn
    Situated on steep hillside W of the main road, on lane from Post Office to the church.
  • II North Parade
    Situated on hillside W of main road, down short drive running N from Tanybryn.
  • II Glennydd
    Situated on SW side of Alma Street (A 487) the eighth house stepped down between Gorphwysfa and Arba, attached to both.
  • II Gorphwysfa
    Situated on SW side of Alma Street (A487), the seventh house stepped down, between Alma and Glennydd, attached to both.
  • II Alma
    Situated on SW side of Alma Street (A 487), the sixth house stepped down, between Maescastell and Gorphwysfa, attached to both.
  • II Ty'r Alma
    Situated in row of houses on SW side of Alma Street (A 487), the third from top, stepped down between Hafan and Arwel, joined to Arwel.
  • II Hafan
    Situated at upper end of SW side of Alma Street (A 487), attached to Aurora to right.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.