History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pandy

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanarth, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1937 / 52°11'37"N

Longitude: -4.3072 / 4°18'26"W

OS Eastings: 242394

OS Northings: 257558

OS Grid: SN423575

Mapcode National: GBR DG.3VN8

Mapcode Global: VH3JY.9495

Plus Code: 9C4Q5MVV+F4

Entry Name: Pandy

Listing Date: 15 May 1978

Last Amended: 16 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 10692

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated in centre of village, set back from A 487 on E side, just across Pont Llethi.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llanarth

Community: Llanarth

Built-Up Area: Llanarth

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanarth

History

Mid to later C19 house built in association with the demolished woollen mill that stood behind. A woollen mill is marked on the site on 1840 Tithe Map, but no house, the mill is said to have been rebuilt in 1842. House is marked on 1887 O.S. A memorial (1961) in the garden commemorates the article written here by Sir Ifan ap Owen Edwards in 1921 that led to the formation of Yr Urdd Gobaith Cymru in 1922. The house was then a guesthouse.

Exterior

Rubble stone with red brick window heads, slate roof, bracketed eaves and stone stacks. Two-storey, three-window range of 1978 12-pane sashes, centre 2-panel door with small-paned overlight. Lower service wing added to left, two-storey, one-window range, C20 9-pane sashes. Outshut rear with long opening in S end wall.
The exterior was colourwashed (1964 list) and had a C19 wooden porch until 1978.

Reasons for Listing

Included for strong associations with Sir Ifan ap Owen Edwards, founder of the Urdd movement.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Glennydd
    Situated on SW side of Alma Street (A 487) the eighth house stepped down between Gorphwysfa and Arba, attached to both.
  • II Gorphwysfa
    Situated on SW side of Alma Street (A487), the seventh house stepped down, between Alma and Glennydd, attached to both.
  • II Alma
    Situated on SW side of Alma Street (A 487), the sixth house stepped down, between Maescastell and Gorphwysfa, attached to both.
  • II Ty'r Alma
    Situated in row of houses on SW side of Alma Street (A 487), the third from top, stepped down between Hafan and Arwel, joined to Arwel.
  • II Hafan
    Situated at upper end of SW side of Alma Street (A 487), attached to Aurora to right.
  • II Aurora
    Situated at the upper end of SW side of Alma Street (A 487), attached to Hafan to E.
  • II Talybryn
    Situated on steep hillside W of the main road, on lane from Post Office to the church.
  • II Former Capel Fronwen
    Situated some 200m E of village centre, on S side of road to Oakford.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.