History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Tysilio

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandysiliogogo, Ceredigion

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1913 / 52°11'28"N

Longitude: -4.3957 / 4°23'44"W

OS Eastings: 236339

OS Northings: 257488

OS Grid: SN363574

Mapcode National: GBR DB.44BC

Mapcode Global: VH3JW.R6J0

Entry Name: Church of St. Tysilio

Listing Date: 3 June 1964

Last Amended: 2 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9804

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated near end of lane, E of Cae'r-llan.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llandysiliogogo

Community: Llandysiliogogo

Locality: Cae'r-llan

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llandyssiliogogo

History

Mostly rebuilt 1825-26 (builders, Elias Davies of Llwyndafydd and Henry Parry of Wig), but retains older battered foundations to nave N. Restored and refitted 1890 by D.Davies of Penrhiw-llan, architect. According to S.Meyrick, the pre-1825 church had a S aisle. Circular churchyard denotes early foundation.

Exterior

Nave and lower narrower chancel, tall early C19 gabled W bellcote with 4-centred arch and iron cross-finial. Rubble walls (partly battered to nave N), slate roofs with overhanging eaves. Pointed W door, stone voussoirs, paired boarded doors. Three pointed windows to nave S with simple 1890 Y-tracery: cusping and leaded glazing. Slate sills, stone voussoirs. Two similar windows to nave N. Pointed E window with 3-light 1890 timber tracery, glazing and head as above.

Interior

1890 arch-braced roof of low pitch with king-posts: boarded and ribbed wagon roof to chancel, of similar date. Plain wide chancel arch, extending beyond chancel wall to S. Plain octogonal font, probably pre-C19. Plain late C19 pews. C20 pulpit and chancel fittings. Screened late C19 vestry to NW of nave. Monuments in chancel to Rev. J. Jones (d1887) by D.O.Rees of New Quay and Rev. D.Richards (d1905). Gothic gabled memorial in nave to Evan and Elizabeth Evans, 1882 by Hugh Jones of Caernarfon. Large veined marble tablet to David and Rachel Jones (1875), signed D.N.; slate surround with quarter-columns within and scrolled top with incised floral decoration.

Reasons for Listing

Simple, largely early C19 parish church in attractive setting.
A small plain fabric of the local type with few details to enable it to be dated. Medieval with renewed windows. Font with plain octagonal bowl and shaft. Decent modern fittings. Parish Church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Castle Green
    Situated on W side of by-road, 1.3 km NW of Nanternis.
  • II Penllwyn
    Situated on W side of by-road, 1.3km NW of Nanternis. Reached along short drive.
  • II Former Limekiln at Cwmtydu
    Prominently situated on roadside opposite beach.
  • II Front stable to Rhiwnant
    Situated in village centre on E side of by-road.
  • II Rhiwnant
    Situated in village centre on E side of by-road.
  • II Nantygraig
    Situated in village centre on E side of by-road.
  • II Cottage near Felin Huw
    Situated some 80m W of Felin Huw and some 60m W of public path, which briefly skirts by-road 0.3km S of Pen-y-parc.
  • II Pen Craig Villa
    Situated in village centre on W side of by-road on steep bank.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.