This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0825 / 52°4'57"N
Longitude: -4.6329 / 4°37'58"W
OS Eastings: 219692
OS Northings: 245957
OS Grid: SN196459
Mapcode National: GBR D0.BZFX
Mapcode Global: VH2MP.NX4D
Plus Code: 9C4Q39M8+2V
Entry Name: Plas Llangoedmore
Listing Date: 21 September 1964
Last Amended: 10 August 1994
Source ID: 9891
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 700m E of junction of B4570 with A484 to E of Cardigan
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Earlier C19 refronting of circa 1760 country house, the refronting to plans dated 1833 by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury.
An illustration pre-1833 shows hipped 5-bay main range with pediment and lunette (c1760) and a double-pile 6-bay earlier house at right angles. John Lloyd, Clerk of the Cheque at Plymouth Dockyard and owner from 1758, built the main part. It was sold in 1786 to Lewis Lloyd of Dolhaidd, and again in 1801 to Archdeacon Millingchamp of Cardigan. The front range was added by Millingchamp's son-in-law, Col. Herbert Vaughan who inherited in 1829, and the older range was then demolished, however, the 1838-40 Tithe Map still shows a range at right angles.
Doric front range is roughcast with painted Cilgerran stone plinth, pilasters and architraves. Low-pitched, deep-eaved bracketed hipped roof and two rendered brick ridge stacks. Two-storey five-window range with plinth, four giant pilasters, and plain frieze. Pilasters are at angles and framing centre bay, which has additional frieze moulding and deep-eaved pediment. Large sashes with stone moulded architraves, painted sills and wooden blind boxes, 12-pane above, full-length 15-pane below. Centre has recessed entry behind screen of two painted unfluted Greek Doric columns with pilaster responds and cornice over. York stone flags and side niches within. Half-glazed double doors with pilasters, side-lights and overlight. E side has similar two-window range, then E end of c1760 range projects with canted roughcast (red brick beneath) two-storey bay, cyma-moulded eaves brackets and hipped roof. 12-pane sashes, longer below. Rear has similar eaves, two side wall stacks, one truncated, arched stair-light and 12-pane sashes. To right, added service range has shallow gable to left with tripartite lunette.
Front of service range is set back with low-pitched deep-eaved roof and rendered ridge stack. Recessed section to right, whitewashed rubble stone. 15-pane sash and 6-panel door with overlight under lead swept-roof verandah with ornamental trellis piers each side (plans show a centre pier also). One central 12-pane sash above. To left projecting roughcast section has 12-pane horned sash each floor and hipped roof.
Front range of circa 1833 has broad hall and room each side, 6-panel doors and panelled shutters. Left library is altered, right drawing-room has fine Greek Revival white marble fireplace with columns, lion-masks and acanthus frieze. Acanthus cornice, and similar friezes over two doors. Rear 1760 range has centre dog-leg stair in four flights with turned balusters and scrolled tread-ends. Thick ramped rail. Large dining-room to right has painted wood panelling in large panels, dado rail and moulded cornice; a plain fireplace replaces a very ornate fireplace and overmantel now removed to St Fagans Museum. Fielded panelled doors, two at N end with architraves and pediments on pulvinated friezes. A panel between the doors is enriched with corner square rosettes and simplified scrolled pediment. Square-headed serving recess on W wall with similar detail.
An exceptionally well-composed remodelling of a small country house, which retains its interiors.
Other nearby listed buildings