This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1592 / 52°9'33"N
Longitude: -4.449 / 4°26'56"W
OS Eastings: 232575
OS Northings: 254043
OS Grid: SN325540
Mapcode National: GBR D8.633X
Mapcode Global: VH3JV.TZVM
Plus Code: 9C4Q5H52+M9
Entry Name: Pigeonsford Mansion
Listing Date: 21 September 1964
Last Amended: 2 February 1996
Source ID: 9896
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 1.5km E of the coast at Llangrannog on the S side of the Nant Hawen valley.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
C18 and early C19 country house of the Price or Price-Jordan family, with C20 additions. The core may be earlier. The house is first recorded in 1612 called Rhyd-y-colomenod, owned by George Parry. The Welsh name was still in use in 1755, the English alternative first mentioned in 1762. Building works are recorded in 1755, when stone flags for stairs were bought by George Price. The house was probably remodelled c1820 for George Price. New stables (separate property) were built for him in 1831 or his son George Bowen Price (later Jordan) (d1881). A small 2-storey NW addition was made in 1910 for C.W.W. Hope (son-in-law of G.B.P. Jordan) by David Davies and Son. Lloyd George used to stay at Pigeonsford when Prime Minister, c1915. Sold to David Owen Evans M.P. 1926, and the big hipped NW range was added in sympathetic style soon after, and the interiors remodelled. Pigeonsford was restored in 1978 but the fine Edwardian-style interior fittings (actually of the 1920s), including the staircase, panelling and fireplaces were all removed without consent in 1993.
Roughcast render, slate roofs, rendered stacks. Plan arranged around 3 sides of courtyard to rear. NE elevation has, to L, 3-window block of 2 storeys plus attic with gabled dormers; horned 4-pane sash glazing. To R of this, two-storey, 2 window block with hipped roof, dentil eaves; 12-pane hornless sashes to first floor; on ground floor, to L, (restored) trellis iron work porch over entrance doorway; 12-pane sash to R. Elevation to NW has two 12-pane hornless sashes to each floor, return (R) has single window to first floor. Beyond this, to R, C20 block connects to earlier block via 2-storey link (set back) with horned sash to each floor. To R of this, 2-window 2-storey block set forward, hipped roof, 12-pane horned sash glazing. To L, steps up to Doric porch over panelled entrance door (ground floor window to L return). Garden elevation has, to R, 3 first floor sashes; on ground floor French doors with sash to each side. To L of this, at first floor level, 4-light landing window with stained glass; narrow 8-pane sash window to each floor (to L). To R of this, link to outbuilding with belcote (known as chapel) has first-floor balustrade and glazed gallery. To rear, at right angles to this block is further gabled outbuilding. Elevations to courtyard include one first floor Gothic window in C19 block.
Long corridor leads through from NE doorway. Two rooms to R have decorative cornices and ceilings; C20 block has one ground floor room with good Neo-Georgian decoration. A grand staircase and panelling, along with many doors have been removed.
Included as substantial country house; C20 wing harmonises with earlier work.
Other nearby listed buildings