This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0845 / 52°5'4"N
Longitude: -4.6606 / 4°39'38"W
OS Eastings: 217800
OS Northings: 246240
OS Grid: SN178462
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.BYCY
Mapcode Global: VH2MP.5VHY
Entry Name: Tabernacle Chapel and Caretaker's House, including Forecourt Walls, Gates & Railings
Listing Date: 14 April 1992
Last Amended: 14 April 1992
Source ID: 10508
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated set back in narrow forecourt, opposite William Street.
Community: Cardigan (Aberteifi)
Built-Up Area: Cardigan
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1832 Calvinistic Methodist chapel, altered 1864 and refronted 1902, this front simplified in 1986 restoration.
The body of the chapel of 1832 survives, originally a lateral front with 2 long centre windows, outer pedimented doors and arched windows over, but in 1902 was radically altered with big projecting central organ chamber, flanking porches and new stucco cladding. In 1986 the roof line was simplified by removal of cornice each side and pediments above, the lowering of the pediment of centrepiece and removal of a steep French-style slate roof behind the pediment.
Three-bay painted stucco front with slate roofs, the big centre projection having exuberantly traceried big arched window of 6 lower lights under a Gothic rose. Three small arched windows between low buttresses below, bracketed cornice and pediment with cusped roundel and 1986 plain bargeboards. Traceried single lights in return wall. Each side, 1902 porches have bracketed coping, centre gable with big arched doorway and small arched windows each side. Blank cusped roundels in gables. Panelled double doors with leaded fanlights. Stepped buttresses up from porch coping to side walls of centre projection. Upper windows are arched with stucco surrounds and 1902 timber tracery. Panelled outer pilasters formerly related to small eaves gablets. Forecourt wall of slate-coped yellow brick and low iron spearhead railings with 2 pairs of matching gates between cast-iron ball-finial piers, all of 1902, by S Kelly, Cardigan.
Plan rubble 3-window, 2-storey rear with 1902 leaded glazing. House to right, on street line, is stuccoed, plain one-window, 2-storey with sashes, door to right and raised stucco surrounds. One first floor south side window.
Handsome curved-ended panelled gallery ca1864 with raked pews and slim fluted columns. Long panels between pilasters. Flat ceiling with very elaborate acanthus rose. 1902 curvaceous pulpit with turned balusters and curving steps each side. Big 1904 organ filling recess behind with decorative flat-balustered low screens behind pulpit. Panelled organ case in pilastered recess with panelled flattened arch. Traceried window obscured.
Other nearby listed buildings