This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0941 / 52°5'38"N
Longitude: -4.6744 / 4°40'27"W
OS Eastings: 216896
OS Northings: 247352
OS Grid: SN168473
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.B76Q
Mapcode Global: VH2MN.XMQH
Plus Code: 9C4Q38VG+M7
Entry Name: Bryn-y-Mor
Listing Date: 22 August 1986
Last Amended: 14 April 1992
Source ID: 10547
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in prominent but isolated setting on east bank of Teifi estuary, some 1.5km north north west of Cardigan, reached by narrow lane from Greenfield Row.
Community: Cardigan (Aberteifi)
Built-Up Area: St Dogmaels
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Early C19. Carefully restored 1985-9. A house marked on 1748 estuary map as Bridget Fach, possibly rebuilt by SamueláJones, master mariner, after 1802. In 1846 owned by Samuel Jones Evans, shipbuilder, but leased to Reverend T Rees. Marked as Pritchard Fach on 1887 O.S. map.
Small country house. Colour-washed roughcast or rubble stone walls, hipped slate roofs with deep bracketed eaves cornice and 3 stone end stacks. Three-storey, U-plan, the rear wings of uneven length, 3-window and basement west facade. Cambered headed windows throughout with slate sills and mostly renewed sashes, 6-pane to upper floor, 12-pane elsewhere. Centre 6-pane door with traceried overlight in restored plain surround. Fine broad flight of 6 nosed slate steps up. South side has one-window range set to right, lighting stair in south east rear wing, blank east end wall to wing. North side is colour-washed rubble stone, 2-window range, blank east end wall with end stack and one-window range to south return of this wing, the window openings restored (formerly obscured in C20 extension, removed since 1986). Rear wall of main range has door and one window each floor. Pent roof obscuring short sections of cornice, suggesting that rear has been built out slightly.
Slate revetment wall by estuary edge with narrow slipway. Single storey stone 2-room privy north of house with hipped renewed roof.
Retains good late Georgian detail, panelled doors and window splays, though ground floor cornices appear of later date. Unusual treatment of square lobbies on 2 main floors, with segmental arches on 3 sides and moulded wood pilasters, oddly thickened to accommodate wider rear wall with an extra roll-mould at corner. Open well stair in south east wing, stick balusters and ramped handrail, service rooms and very narrow service stair in north east rear wing. No obvious sign that an older house is incorporated except that rear entrance and lobbies that give access from wings to main house may be infill between earlier thicker walls.
Listed as a fine, small-scale Georgian countryhouse recently restored.
Other nearby listed buildings