This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1661 / 52°9'57"N
Longitude: -4.4016 / 4°24'5"W
OS Eastings: 235840
OS Northings: 254698
OS Grid: SN358546
Mapcode National: GBR DB.5NVW
Mapcode Global: VH3JW.NTDC
Plus Code: 9C4Q5H8X+C8
Entry Name: Glan-yr-afon
Listing Date: 1 July 1991
Last Amended: 2 February 1996
Source ID: 10732
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On E side of bridge over Nant Fothau on by-road between Llwyndafydd and Blaencelyn. About 1.5 km SW of Llwyndafydd.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Possible C17 core with C19 alterations and additions: complex building history. The rear portion may be the earliest: it was extended S to meet the front (cross) range, the latter either a new addition, or more likely, an existing separate unit. Recorded as a public house in 1613, where leet courts were held. Small building recorded on 1845 Tithe map.
White painted rubble construction with areas of cob in front wall. Rethatching in progress (August 1995). Recently built rubble gable chimney-stack to right, remade wattle chimney-cone to S gable of rear wing. Single storey 3-bay front with central door, replaced 9-pane casement window to right and small window to left with boarded shutters: timber lintels and stone sills. Left end with inserted (?) boarded door, timber lintel: small 6-pane attic window above.
Rear cross-wing staggered to E. Main elevation with boarded central door, late C19 9-pane window each side, larger to left. Timber lintels. Blocked cross-passage door to rear.
Complete renovation in progress at time of inspection (August 1995).
Front range with small fireplace at E end: possibly this is secondary, as evidence of a fireplace was found in the opposite (W) end of the tiny building during renovation. The latter was probably superceded by the present fireplace at a later date and a doorway inserted in the W gable end. C20 loft and trusses to front range. Rear wing has straight joints towards fireplace end, indicating enlargement of a smaller building. Plan formerly of cross-passage type. Partitions removed, some cordwood beams of loft intact. At S end is a large wattle and plaster fireplace hood, supported by a cross-beam let into the wall on the left and a rubble cheek-wall to the right. Evidence of former fireplace at parlour (N) end found during renovation. Roof structure of three pairs of thin trusses, crossed and pegged at ridge. Paired purlins, some scantling underthatch.
Listed as a rare survival of a vernacular Cardiganshire cottage with unusual building and social history.
Other nearby listed buildings