This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0434 / 52°2'36"N
Longitude: -4.4324 / 4°25'56"W
OS Eastings: 233282
OS Northings: 241130
OS Grid: SN332411
Mapcode National: GBR D9.FF6S
Mapcode Global: VH3KG.4W4W
Entry Name: Church of St Tyfriog
Listing Date: 24 March 1992
Last Amended: 4 June 1996
Source ID: 10739
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Reached at end of short drive off A475 (S side) E of Llandyfriog. Located on N bank of River Teifi. Schoolroom to E.
Community: Llandyfriog (Llandyfrïog)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Dated 1880-90 (see plaque to W gable end); consecrated in 1890. The initial plans of Middleton and son, architects of Cheltenham were succeeded by those dated 1888, by J Prothero (of the same office) The old church was completely demolished and the new building cost £950. Renovated 1928. Tower shortened c1960.
Simple Perpendicular gothic style church, built of randomly coursed rubble with sparing use of freestone dressings (some painted). Plinth and simple buttresses to E end and nave SE. Slate roofs with overhanging eaves. Nave with lower narrower chancel and tower to SW. The cut-down 2-stage tower has a crenellated parapet, concrete cappings and set-back pyramidal spire dating from c1960. Long lancets to belfry and 4-centred doorway on N side with chamfered square-headed architrave and blue-brick relieving arch. Stepped 5-light E window with uncarved label stops and stepped-up sill band. Two 4-light mullion windows to nave N and S: smaller one to chancel S with cusped lights. W end has date plaque over paired 2-light windows which have a common dripmould and sill-band. Boarded door to N and lean-to vestry on N side of chancel which has plain 3-light mullion window to N and 4-centred E doorway with boarded door.
Scissor-rafter roofs. Steps up to chancel. Octagonal stone font and timber fronted pulpit, both late C19. Late C19 benches. E window of 1929 by Clayton and Bell, as are the W windows of 1925 and 1927. N wall has early C19 white marble plaques to Hall and Braithwaite families, ancestors of the Fitzwilliams family of Cilgwyn. S wall has further Fitzwilliams memorial (c1912, by Norbury of Liverpool) and an early C19 hatchment.
Group value with St Tyfriog's School.
Other nearby listed buildings