This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2135 / 52°12'48"N
Longitude: -4.3655 / 4°21'55"W
OS Eastings: 238483
OS Northings: 259893
OS Grid: SN384598
Mapcode National: GBR DC.2RSQ
Mapcode Global: VH3JQ.8MZG
Entry Name: Church of St Llwchaiarn
Listing Date: 31 January 1994
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source ID: 10816
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at the end of a short lane to N off A 486.
Community: New Quay (Ceinewydd)
Community: New Quay
Locality: Porth yr Eglwys N end
Built-Up Area: New Quay
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1863-5 Anglican parish church by R J Withers, architect of London. Snecked grey rubble stone with Bath stone dressings, coped gables, slate roofs and red terracotta ridges. Nave, chancel and short W spire. Plate traceried High Victorian Gothic style. Complex W front with ashlar spire carried on a central projection with two big stepped buttresses oversailing a hipped lean-to W porch. Centre projection is broached to octagonal at ridge height under squat ashlar bell-stage with punched circular openings, short spire banded in grey stone with slightly bulbous outline.
Nave has stepped buttresses, four 2-light windows to N and three to S. Chancel has one N 3-light, big E 3-light, and S 2-light. Window heads have foiled circles and pointed hoodmoulds. Diagonal E end buttresses. Chancel S has flat-roofed vestry and adjoining shallow gabled organ-chamber of 1935 by W D Caroe.
Six-bay nave roof with scissor trusses and cusping. Big chancel arch on detached, ringed column shafts. Panelled chancel roof. 1863 ashlar octagonal font and pews with punched roundels in bench ends. Damaged small medieval font in two pieces, a plain cylindrical shaft and a square bowl with two surviving carved heads at corners and on two sides remnant of arcading. 1935 limed oak chancel furnishings of high quality by Caroe, in an individual late Gothic to Renaissance style, including pulpit, stalls, rails, chair and prayer desk. Also the 1863 altar was encased and a lavishly carved reredos was added. c1990 organ. Some C20 stained glass, E window c1928, chancel N by Shrigley and Hunt 1937, chancel S 1960 of high quality by John Hayward and nave N c1950.
Other nearby listed buildings