This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9971 / 51°59'49"N
Longitude: -3.7976 / 3°47'51"W
OS Eastings: 276684
OS Northings: 234711
OS Grid: SN766347
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.J8NL
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.427B
Entry Name: Windermere House
Listing Date: 26 February 1981
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 11028
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on junction with New Road.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
House formerly with attached stable and coach-house at No 84, probably rebuilt after 1836 and before 1866. In 1866 owned by David Jeremy, rented by William Morgan, land surveyor. Owned in 1890s by Mrs C P Lewis of Llandingat, let to Bartlett Thomas and then T and S Brabant.
House at end of informal terrace; of 3 bays and 2 storeys with slate gabled roof with 2 skylights and flanking brick chimneys. Small sparse paired brackets to slightly projecting eaves. Painted lined stucco facade with long and short quoins to left and right, sill band and plinth (left side only). Hornless 12-pane sashes throughout with plain surrounds. Central recessed door of 6 moulded and fielded panels in panelled recess with plain rectangular overlight in doorcase with panelled piers and big scrolled consoles to shelf cornice.
Right hand return to New Road is slate-hung above lower ground floor which is rough cast, and has single-pane small window to right hand 1st floor.
Plaque below reading: "This stone was laid by the Llandovery Corporation to commemorate the generosity of Mrs. Elizabeth Lewis, wife of Charles Prydderch Lewis BSc, M.A.J.R., Llandingad, who made a gift of a piece of land, adjoining Windermere House in order to widen the road which was formerly very dangerous at this spot. Nov. 1903".
NW rear wing, roughcast without windows on N side but with tall wide brick chimney on eaves.
Left hand return is rough cast and plain.
Included as a late Georgian style house with surviving original detail.
Other nearby listed buildings