This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5395 / 51°32'22"N
Longitude: -3.592 / 3°35'31"W
OS Eastings: 289684
OS Northings: 183486
OS Grid: SS896834
Mapcode National: GBR HC.GC5Q
Mapcode Global: VH5HB.PKDP
Plus Code: 9C3RGCQ5+Q5
Entry Name: Church of St Ffraid aka St Bride, Llansantffraid
Listing Date: 26 July 1963
Last Amended: 22 July 1998
Source ID: 11224
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On sloping ground above Afon Ogwr, W of the villageof Sarn and very near the W community boundary and the main road between Bridgend and Maesteg.
Community: St. Bride's Minor (Llansanffraid-ar-Ogwr)
Community: St Brides Minor
Built-Up Area: Sarn
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably C14/15 origin. Heavily restored by G E Halliday 1896 who added N aisle. Sundial in porch dated 1762.
A small low church of stone rubble with ashlar dressings and snecked dressed stone to N aisle; main roof of machine tiles, stone tiles to porch, apex cruciform finials. Plan of nave with W bellcote, long N aisle, S porch, lower narrower chancel. Windows are mostly renewed with 2 trefoil-headed lights and Geometric tracery and hoodmoulds. S porch has wide ashlar coping with kneelers, sundial above plain round arched S doorway; porch interior has stone seats and flags; one moulded arch braced truss, ridge beam, trenched purlin and vertically panelled S door. Nave has windows either side of porch and wide shallow buttress at SE corner. Chancel has single light S window and an unrestored window of 2 cusped lights in a square headed frame with wide chamfered mullion; hollow chamfered pointed arched priest's door with vertically panelled door; 2 light E window. N aisle has unusually an E pointed arched entrance with voussoirs and hoodmould; battered stepped buttress divides nave and chancel; windows with narrow lights. W window of 2 lights. Stands in a large churchyard, the level of which has been lowered in places as seen by the mounds on which the older yews stand; entrance at W has an iron archway and double gates.
Nave has C19 N arcade of 3 bays with moulded pointed arches; windows have very wide embrasures; arch-braced roof with low ridge beam and heavy trenched purlins. C19 barrel roof to nave with moulded principal ribs; font is medieval, a plain bowl with single roll mould on a low stem. Chancel arch is simple and pointed, two orders dying into the walls. To right a medieval quatrefoil headed shallow niche with fragments of medieval moulded stone made into an altar below; to left a group of 2 simple C17-18 wall monuments; similar black painted local monument to NW. Chancel has C19 roof, E window stained glass of 1899, C18 wall monument NE.
Included as a much restored medieval parish church.
Other nearby listed buildings