This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7507 / 51°45'2"N
Longitude: -3.3856 / 3°23'8"W
OS Eastings: 304446
OS Northings: 206682
OS Grid: SO044066
Mapcode National: GBR HN.0WN3
Mapcode Global: VH6CY.88J8
Plus Code: 9C3RQJ27+7Q
Entry Name: Remains of chapel/Warehouse at the end of Chapel Row
Listing Date: 22 August 1975
Last Amended: 13 January 1988
Source ID: 11414
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in open ground to E of Omnibus Depot and backing on to River Taff.
County: Merthyr Tydfil
Community: Park (Parc)
Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Octagonal chapel opened 1805, converted to Storehouse by 1836 Survey Plan; row of houses added ca 1825.
2-storey terraced row with taller remains of polygonal structure at N end. Uniform rubble frontage with some rough dressings; continuous slate roof, hipped to S end, brick stacks. 2-window fronts (wider at S end), cemented reveals under voussoir lintels (painted to No 1), modern small-pane sash windows. Central 6-panel doors (offset to No 5). Low walled forecourts with plain cappings link to splayed outer wall of former chapel/warehouse forward on left; pale quoins and round-arched window openings.
To W of Chapel Row is a reconstructed section of canal with ironwork frame of the (relocated) Rhydycar Iron Bridge.
No 4 Chapel Row is celebrated as birthplace in 1841 of the famous composer Joseph Parry.
Other nearby listed buildings