History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Statue & Plinth to Sir W.T. Lewis

A Grade II Listed Building in Town (Y Dref), Merthyr Tydfil

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7478 / 51°44'52"N

Longitude: -3.3762 / 3°22'34"W

OS Eastings: 305089

OS Northings: 206350

OS Grid: SO050063

Mapcode National: GBR HN.15GR

Mapcode Global: VH6CY.FBHH

Entry Name: Statue & Plinth to Sir W.T. Lewis

Listing Date: 13 January 1988

Last Amended: 13 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11476

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: To left hand side of entrance forecourt at St Tydfil’s Hospital. Relocated from original site outside the General Hospital, Penydarren Road.

County: Merthyr Tydfil

Community: Town (Y Dref)

Community: Town

Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Merthyr Tydfil

History

Granite plinth dated 1900. Bronze statute by T Brock RA, sculptor of London, 1898.

Exterior

Standing, bearded figure with arms across front holding unrolled document or plan. Miners’ lamp and pile of papers at rear of feet. Tapering pedestal with moulded cornice and stepped plinth. Bronze heraldic plaque to front.

Long (rear) inscription of good works begins: "Erected by the Voluntary Subscriptions of Friends and Admirers....".

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.