This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6259 / 51°37'33"N
Longitude: -3.9423 / 3°56'32"W
OS Eastings: 265652
OS Northings: 193682
OS Grid: SS656936
Mapcode National: GBR WS5.GD
Mapcode Global: VH4K9.MD7G
Entry Name: Ebenezer Baptist Chapel Hall
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source ID: 11575
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dominant building in a narrow side street off High Street and close to the railway station.
Dated 1862, possibly designed by Rev Thomas Thomas. Formerly the Ebenezer Chapel of the Welsh Independents.
Fine 3 bay neo-classical facade with steep open pediment to gable (possibly influenced by C R Cockerell’s designs). Giant vermiculated arch supported by broken entablature on angle pilasters with egg-and-dart capitals; linking impost and cill-bands. Recessed centre with inscribed tablet over stepped triple light with architraves and tracery; balustraded apron over entablature to tetrastyle Doric portico in antis. Bipartite windows with detailing as before to side bays.
2 storey hall gable of 1894 adjoins to left, similar style with 3 lights over 4 lights with centre pilaster and doorway breaching cill band. Attached house with scrolled entrance to Mission Hall at rear (not of special interest).
Spacious rectangular interior to chapel with boarded and ribbed ceiling, rich acanthus foliage to twin roses, groined coving over street window. Excellent, continuous gallery swept down below Gothic organ-case at N end; classical pulpit in front, pilasters, modillion cornice, gold stencilling etc and sinuous balustraded handrails to platform with volute brackets to reading desk. Tapering cast-iron columns with acanthus leaves and egg-and-dart capitals under gallery. Good panelled box pews and Greek wall tablets.
References: Shown set back from street on "Swansea Local Board of Health Map" (1852).
A Jones: "Welsh Chapels" (National Museum 1984), p 58.
Inscribed tablet: "Ebenezer: Erected 1803 Enlarged 1826: Rebuilt 1862".
Other nearby listed buildings