This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6265 / 51°37'35"N
Longitude: -3.9417 / 3°56'30"W
OS Eastings: 265694
OS Northings: 193751
OS Grid: SS656937
Mapcode National: GBR WS8.7C
Mapcode Global: VH4K9.MCKZ
Entry Name: St. Matthew's Church
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source ID: 11584
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Gable end forward to street with raised churchyard flanking sides and rear. One the site of the medieval chapel of St John the Baptist, rebuilt 1823-4 to designed by Wm Jernegan.
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Existing church 1886. By Bucknall and Jennings, architects of Swansea, possibly incorporating some earlier fabric. Mixed Romanesque and classical style.
Raised E gable with moulded cornice and kneelers, Celtic cross to apex; coursed rubble, freestone dressings; quatrefoil over round-headed containing arch with impost bands and architrave ground. Stepped 3-light window with unusual colonnettes, fluted bands etc topped by volutes. Polygonal S porch with hipped roof to classical doorway, tall round arch windows with thin roll mouldings to side elevations.
Narrow gabled (roofless) porch rising above N eaves, coursed rubble (not bonded), droved quoins. Tall round arch with long and short quoins and (blocked) square-headed doorway to rubble infill. Quatrefoil to gable apex, blind tablet under; round-arched bell openings to upper sides. Pedimented and pilastered arch to W gable bellcote, giant arch treatment under with architrave linked to impost band; 5-light W window with stepped lights as E window, lean-to porch with heavy parapet below.
Unaisled nave interior with open boarded roof and tie beams with thin Gothic braces, panelled gallery front with Corinthian cast-iron columns to W end. Triple-arch treatment to E end, tall chancel arch with architrave and square piers flanking side arches.
Low churchyard walls attached along street front with outer gateways, rusticated piers and segmental caps, ironwork gates plus arched lantern bracket over left hand gateway.
Other nearby listed buildings