History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Cross Keys PH

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle (Castell), Swansea

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6193 / 51°37'9"N

Longitude: -3.9419 / 3°56'30"W

OS Eastings: 265656

OS Northings: 192955

OS Grid: SS656929

Mapcode National: GBR WS6.XV

Mapcode Global: VH4K9.MKFG

Entry Name: Old Cross Keys PH

Listing Date: 23 April 1952

Last Amended: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11635

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Formerly in the middle of a long street, now an isolated building in open ground opposite St Mary’s Church.

County: Swansea

Community: Castle (Castell)

Community: Castle

Locality: Swansea

Built-Up Area: Swansea

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Swansea

History

Originally a first floor hall-house of L-shaped plan dating from C14, largely altered in C17. Heavily restored in 1950 and 1959. Possibly formed part of the Hospital of the Blessed St David built by Henry Gower, Bishop of St Davids (foundation deed 1332). Later in the possession of the Herbert family.

Built with main block aligned parallel to St Mary’s Street and with a rear wing to N; the W end of the main block has been curtailed.

Exterior

2 storey frontage with twin 3-storey gables, rubble cills with recessed pointing, modern tiled roofs; tall parapet with low stack to (rebuilt) right gable end, second staff to left. 2 and 3-light moulded, timber mullioned windows with overall dentilled lintels, leaded glazing, moulded cills. Lean-to hood to doorway between gables. Flat roofed extensions in similar style, 2 doorways in angle, facing Princess Way.

2-storey and attic rear gabled wing retains medieval freestone lancets, single with chamfered surround to attic, cusped pair to 1st floor and cusped single light to ground floor. Further flat-roofed extension beyond.

Interior

Interior retains chamfered timber beams with chamfered uprights to bar interiors. Some parts of the early roof structure remain, including two early hall trusses of false arch-base type (or crucks?), the principal rafters shouldered at the centre to take the soffit in a continuous curve, scalloped decoration towards wall heads. Two similar, but simpler, trusses remain in rear wing. Remains of stone chimney-piece etc.

Reasons for Listing

Group value.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.