History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Jude & Church Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle (Castell), Swansea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6239 / 51°37'25"N

Longitude: -3.9533 / 3°57'11"W

OS Eastings: 264882

OS Northings: 193480

OS Grid: SS648934

Mapcode National: GBR WQF.YW

Mapcode Global: VH4K9.FFDZ

Entry Name: Church of St Jude & Church Hall

Listing Date: 30 March 1987

Last Amended: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11646

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: In a steep hillside position with side to road.

County: Swansea

Community: Castle (Castell)

Community: Castle

Built-Up Area: Swansea

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Swansea

History

Construction of church hall 1904-6, church completed 1913-15. Designed by E Bruce Vaughan, architect of Cardiff. Geometric Gothic.

Exterior

Church flanked by lower vestries, N transept, aisled nave with NW porch. Church hall under. Snecked rubble, freestone dressings including banding, slate roofs with crucifix finials. W front with grouped, traceried windows of 2 and 3 lights between flat buttresses. S aisle gabled front with twin Geometric windows under quatrefoil oculus. Parapeted gables, pilaster buttresses to clerestory with traceried lights, bar tracery to aisles, linked hoodmoulds. Gabled NW porch with paterae on Gothic mouldings of arched entrance, boarded doors. Second pointed doorway in angle of transept. Plain 2-light windows to basement (church hall), rubble retaining walls, piers and area railings set high at road level with flying platforms to upper doors.

3-light transept windows with taller octagonal stair turret clasping E angle, panelled canopies with cusped bell-openings. Flying buttresses over low vestry and porch to E wall, 5-light traceried window with impaled trefoils, lateral doorway reached by steps up.

Foundation stones dated 1905 and 1913.

Interior

Well-proportioned 3-bay interior, round piers, head-stops to hoodmoulds. Paired clerestory windows with shafts to rere-arches. Tall chancel arch on respond shafts with foliage capitals at cill based level. Tall N arch for organ, boarded ceiling under, screens to side chapels. Panelled sedilia. Ribbed and boarded wagon roofs to centre and S aisles, lean-to N aisle roof.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.