This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6844 / 51°41'3"N
Longitude: -4.1635 / 4°9'48"W
OS Eastings: 250531
OS Northings: 200615
OS Grid: SN505006
Mapcode National: GBR GS.TV62
Mapcode Global: VH3MB.SX8N
Plus Code: 9C3QMRMP+PH
Entry Name: Hall Street Methodist Church
Listing Date: 12 March 1992
Last Amended: 12 March 1992
Source ID: 11921
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on corner of Hall Street and Goring Road.
Built-Up Area: Llanelli
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
1856 English Wesleyan Chapel by James Wilson of Bath, extended 1870 also by JáWilson. Tower completed and spire 1896 by W Griffiths of Llanelli. Blue lias squared stone with Bath stone dressings, slate fishscale steep roofs and Bath stone ridge tiles. Decorated Gothic style, nave of 1856 with transepts and apsed east end added 1870 and porch tower between nave and west transept, possibly begun 1870, top stage and recessed spire added 1896.
Nave has steep south gable front, gabled clasping angle buttresses, with ashlar octagonal finials, ashlar gable coping with openwork cusped parapet up to apex finial. Finial has ogee canopies and octagonal spirelet. Pointed arched door with hoodmould and carved head stops and big 5-light traceried window above with elaborate cusping and cinquefoil head. Hoodmould with carved stops. Four-window nave has stepped and gabled buttresses between 2-light ogee-traceried windows with pointed heads and hoodmoulds, string course and openwork parapet. Added transepts have lower roofs, coped gables and are built of brown rubble stone.
Tower to south of west transept blocks fourth bay of nave. Three stages lowest with moulded west door and short column shafts and south plate-traceried 2-light window similar to south window of east transept. Second stage has small plain lancet lights, third stage of 1896 has paired lancet louvred bell-openings with hoodmoulds, cornice, pierced parapet and crocketted angle finials. Recessed octagonal spire with fishscale slates. West transept has ground floor 4-light west window under relieving arch and big 4-light window above with cinquefoil head. East transept has 3-light east window over ground floor 4-light.
North end has canted 3-sided apse with ashlar quoins. Flat headed plate traceried 3-light windows with 3 quatrefoils over. Lean-to vestry on east side with unusual triangular window on north.
With big open timber roof to nave, low stone "chancel" wall.
An elaborate Gothic chapel by the architect said to have led the Wesleyan church into the path of the Gothic Revival.
Other nearby listed buildings