This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8283 / 51°49'41"N
Longitude: -4.9787 / 4°58'43"W
OS Eastings: 194842
OS Northings: 218604
OS Grid: SM948186
Mapcode National: GBR CK.W3PY
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.N9BS
Entry Name: Cottesmore including attached E conservatory and NW wing.
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 2 October 2002
Source ID: 12002
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Reached by a drive of some 650m W off the A40 at Tangiers.
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Country house of 1839-41, probably including part of an earlier house. A farmhouse called Cotts, in Prendergast parish, was sold in 1814 to J. H. Peel, High Sheriff in 1826. A sale advertisement in 1826 describes the estate as of 400 acresb (162 hectares) with a compact sporting residence 'occupied for the last 14 years by J. H. Peel Esq. who has spared no expense in improving the lands..'. The house was offered with 160 acres(65 hectares) including plantations of 14 years growth, and large-scale farm-buildings and offices, including stabling for 20, barn, granary, smithy, threshing machine, extensive farm yard, sheds for 40 oxen, dog-kennel and boiling house. It is probable that part of these survive. The estate was not sold, Peel's son-in-law Edward Taylor Massy built the new house in 1839-41. The farm was of 143 acres(58 hectares) on the 1842 Tithe map and still called Cotts although subsequently renamed Cottesmore. The house has similarities to Scolton Manor and Avallanau, houses of c1840 designed by William Owen of Haverfordwest. The Roman Doric columns of the colonnade may be reused, but are shown in an engraving of 1875. The conservatory with cast-iron classical piers that seem of c1840 does not however appear in the 1875 view. Lt- Gen H. R. S. Massy (b 1884) was owner in 1920, High Sheriff in 1946, . Sold to Col. G. T. Kelway, High Sheriff 1958.
Country house, stucco lined as ashlar with slate hipped deep-eaved roof and two rebuilt red brick ridge stacks. Three-storey, 5-bay front of small-paned sashes with bands under eaves and between first and second floors. Upper floor has square 6-pane sashes, first and ground floors have 12-pane sashes. Ground floor has full-length portico of 8 Bath stone Roman Doric columns raised on a double step of cut Pennant stone, paired columns to centre bay. There are small signs that the colonnade may be reused, a cut out of the left column, some holes in the step possibly indicative of a metal veranda, but nothing conclusive. The columns support a Greek Doric painted wood entablature with triglyphs and metopes, very like the porch at Sealyham nearby. Centre wide doorway with stone step, 6-panel fielded-panelled door with side-lights and top-lights, panelled piers and roundels at intersections, similar to entrance at Poyston nearby.
Four-bay similar W side without portico. Numerous blank windows, 3 to attic 2 of which have inserted C20 windows, and one to right bay of first and ground floors. E side of 3 bays has blank windows to left on upper 2 floors and ground floor left has attached conservatory running E, of 10 bays with renewed timber small paned glazing between thin cast-iron pilasters with panelled piers below rosettes, glazed timber roof, and short roof pitch on N down to rubble stone rear N wall. Glazed E end of 4 bays. Six-panel door to basement with overlight. Rear N is roughcast with 3 equal gables, the outer ones with red brick renewed chimneys. One attic 12-pane sash to left of centre gable, 12-pane sash each floor between left and centre, and door onto service stair up steps in angle to rear NW wing.
Rear NW wing of 2 storeys, hipped to N end. E side of 4 bays, one blank and three 9-pane windows above, blank window, hipped lean-to, door and 12-pane sash below. W side has two 9-pane and one 12-pane sash above, three 12-pane sashes below not aligned.
Entrance hall in centre with staircase to rear and two doors to left, one to right, giving access to principal rooms to SW, NW, and SE. Six-panel doors, panelled shutters. Fine cantilevered stone staircase with cast-iron balusters. Stair hall is lit by top lantern over circular light with coloured glass to a floral pattern. SE room has exceptionally large ceiling rose with lotus, anthemion and acanthus leaves, anthemion-pattern ceiling border. White marble fireplace with rosettes. Sliding double half-glazed doors on E wall into conservatory. SW room was library, and has large fitted bookcase on W wall of 6 bays with glazed doors and roundels to the piers between. NW room has similar very large ceiling rose and neo-Grec ceiling border. Marble plain fireplace with mid to later C19 cast iron grate. Walls of this room are boarded, lined with canvas and papered. Elliptical-arched recess on N wall.
Conservatory has original cast-iron piers between renewed small-paned glazing, wider than the thin pilasters visible on exterior, here with Corinthian capitals. Timber roof structure may be later C19 or early C20, one long pitch and short rear pitch, the latter clad in corrugated plastic sheet. There was a liftable ridge, now removed but some of the mechanism survives. Stone flag floor.
Graded II* as a remarkably complete earlier C19 country house with fine cantilevered stone staircase and some exceptional plaster ceilings.
Other nearby listed buildings