This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8216 / 51°49'17"N
Longitude: -4.9702 / 4°58'12"W
OS Eastings: 195398
OS Northings: 217837
OS Grid: SM953178
Mapcode National: GBR CK.WKTF
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.SGTX
Plus Code: 9C3QR2CH+JW
Entry Name: Mill House
Listing Date: 22 August 1986
Last Amended: 2 October 2002
Source ID: 13037
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Access immediately to N of Glanafon Farm; trackway with right-angled bend along E bank of Western Cleddan river. Mill house is under a cliff-face overlooking the mill leat.
Locality: North Prendergast
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Mill house to Prendergast Mill, late C18 or early C19, altered in 1920s by addition of right wing and possibly also the left one. Prendergast Mill, originally a cotton mill, became a paper mill in 1816, taken over by the Harvey family about 1824, who already had paper interests in Haverfordwest. Benjamin Harvey had been to Russia to help set up paper mills for the Tsar at Peterhof 1812-24. By 1830 he was the owner of the mill, and he also came to own Haverfordwest Mills and Millbank Mill in the town.The Tithe map of 1842 records Mill House as a holding of 7 acres (2.8 hectares) occupied by Benjamin Harvey and owned by Thomas Lloyd of Glanafon. The house was restored and rewindowed in later C20.
House, pebbledashed rubble stone and slate roof. Three storeys, three bays, with renewed sash windows. Renewed brick end stacks. Red brick eaves course with wooden brackets originally to carry gutter or deeper eaves. Nine-pane C20 upper windows, 12-pane horned sashes to main floors and centre 4-panel door with overlight. Cemented or concrete sills. Cement plinth. Two-window two storey range to left with two 9-pane windows each floor. Two-storey one-window range to right with C20 window each floor.
Said to retain some original fittings including timber dog-leg stair to rear of hallway.
Included mainly for historical importance in relation to remains of the early cotton mill adjoining and for group value with the mill and bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings